Default Texas Inspection Software

I know this topic has been covered many times but every time I look it up I find dated information. Of course I'm usually looking it up late at night and after being frustrated at my current software! I wouldn't doubt it if my keywords are not getting me to the most recent posts.

I am am wondering what Inspection Software Texas Inspectors use? And any recommendations for simple software to be used on a tablet/pc setup with Windows7 would be great.

I have been using AHIT's Texas Report Pro for the past few years and constantly find myself frustrated with it for several reasons. (too many to list. I'll save the ranting)

The latest being that when I called them about updating there software for the new Texas report form, I was told to go to the TREC site and download it myself.

This would be fine if I could manipulate the "buttons" or "controls" within their software to match the new form. I know how to update the template just not the software.

I am so frustrated with them, their software, and the fact that we have to pay for support every year but hate that the best way is to jump ship and pay another $500 (or so) for another software.

On this site I hear great things about Homeguage but wonder if its their members marketing their product and how their Texas version matches up.

Then of course I hear many great things about Whisper but only ever see it in checklist form. I prefer narrative reports. Any negatives to Whisper?

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Texas Inspection Software

Look at Home Inspector Pro (HIP), they have a TX template and you can also create any template you need fairly easy. You really can't beat their customer service and the help that the HIP community provides to each other.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I use Whisper, have used it for years and know several inspectors that use it. I have never heard a complaint. Best tech support I've seen. Call them and they will send you a trial copy. They also have classes on how to use the various features that you also get TREC ce hours for attending. Most inspectors will gladly share there canned statements with you. Don.t make a decision without checking out there product.

Bob Spermo Guest

I use and like the Whispers' program. It does supply narratives and also allows you to create your own checklist/report.

I used AHIT program years ago (at least I think InspectIt was the predecessor of AHIT) anyway it was a Word based program that was VERY labor intensive for me to update the templates, buttons, drop downs, etc. I dropped them and just used Word to write my reports for several years. Last year I switched to Home Inspector Pro and I'm glad I did. I use the Ipad mini for field entry and sync everything to my desktop and load photos but you can use other systems.
    I like the photo entry/editing which is a big time saver for me since I am a heavy user of photos. (I think I set a record of some kind with big report right after I started using it.)

You can't beat the service/support.

The have assured me they are on top of the new report transition which should be pretty painless.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jeff Knight Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Hudson View Post
    I know this topic has been covered many times but every time I look it up I find dated information. Of course I'm usually looking it up late at night and after being frustrated at my current software! I wouldn't doubt it if my keywords are not getting me to the most recent posts.

I am am wondering what Inspection Software Texas Inspectors use? And any recommendations for simple software to be used on a tablet/pc setup with Windows7 would be great.

I have been using AHIT's Texas Report Pro for the past few years and constantly find myself frustrated with it for several reasons. (too many to list. I'll save the ranting)

The latest being that when I called them about updating there software for the new Texas report form, I was told to go to the TREC site and download it myself.

This would be fine if I could manipulate the "buttons" or "controls" within their software to match the new form. I know how to update the template just not the software.

I am so frustrated with them, their software, and the fact that we have to pay for support every year but hate that the best way is to jump ship and pay another $500 (or so) for another software.

On this site I hear great things about Homeguage but wonder if its their members marketing their product and how their Texas version matches up.

Then of course I hear many great things about Whisper but only ever see it in checklist form. I prefer narrative reports. Any negatives to Whisper?
    James,
    You may want to check out our software since we have been doing the TREC form for over a dozen years. What is unique about our software is that you are able to do the inspection room-by-room but still be able to create the TREC form from the data collected. The data actually gets mapped to the specific areas....we also have the ability to insert photos into the body of the report automatically (HUGE time saver). Please take 10 minutes and give us a call.