Default Bootlegged power?

When I inspected a foreclosure, I was told that the utilities were on. Sure enough, all electrical systems and appliances were functional. However, the meter dial was not turning even with heat pump and oven elements in operation. I had been told by a power company representative a few years back (I thought) that the style ring on this meter was a lockout ring for when power had been turned off by the utility. So visually at the meter, I am expecting no power. I looked around for some "alternative" power source, but could find nothing. (Underground service, no unexplained extension cords running to neighbor, no generator or roof mounted wind turbines) Am I missing something obvious? Is it possible for the meter dial to be stuck? I am more stumped by the lack of dial movement than by the style of ring around the meter. (No photo attached. Unable to upload photos today for unknown reason. Photo just showed ring style on meter.)

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Bootlegged power?

Could you remove the meter or was it loose?
    *My SWAG Meter plug ins were covered to block contact and the connection jumped.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Could you remove the meter or was it loose?
    *My SWAG Meter plug ins were covered to block contact and the connection jumped.
    It did not appear loose, but I did not physically check. (Could a loose meter allow power without measuring it? If so, I think I'll try to loosen mine!) Maybe it's time I went to the utility company and asked for a demo on meters and how they work, are connected, are locked out, etc. I'd be a little nervous about pulling on a meter with my current lack of knowledge. Learning opportunity #73416 coming up!

Quote Originally Posted by Oni Shaw View Post
    (Could a loose meter allow power without measuring it? If so, I think I'll try to loosen mine!) !
    If the meter was removed and the plugins covered with a non conductive material and replaced , with the in coming service wires jumped then the meter has nothing to measure.

*if you do that it's Theft !
    ** might just want to pay your bill.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

*if you do that it's Theft !
    ** might just want to pay your bill.
    Oh, alright! I guess I'll be honest.
    Is the setup you describe a deliberate power stealing tactic or a faulty lockout (or both)? Sounds deliberate. Thank you for educating me AND keeping me out of jail in the same post!

Is the setup you describe a deliberate power stealing tactic or a faulty lockout (or both)? Sounds deliberate. Thank you for educating me AND keeping me out of jail in the same post!
    Example of a jumped meter ( black wire on left, red wire on right ) with the meter cover removed.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Example of a jumped meter ( black wire on left, red wire on right ) with the meter cover removed.
    Billy,

You didn't need to show us your meter bypass wiring ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It is NOT a faulty lockout...If indeed it is supposed to be locked out then someone has bypassed the meter..

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Billy,

You didn't need to show us your meter bypass wiring ...
    Wow !

Thanks for the reminder.
    * gotta get out there and hookup before the meter reader comes today.