Christian Tag Guest

Default Air return under the doors

Hi everyone,

This is an old house that has been newly renovated. Originally there was electric baseboards but the owner has installed an electric forced-air central furnace. I've noted that in all the rooms, the air return is installed on the floor and under the doors.

Would you call it out in your report ?

Are flex ducts more noisy than rigid ones ?

Thanks

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Air return under the doors

Having returns in bedrooms is now common place, however its common practice to install the return at the bottom of the wall at the floor with a operable louvre, and even better if there is a second return on the same duct higher up the wall with a louvre. During winter months the upper return is closed to draw cold air off the floor and in the summer the bottom louvre is closed so hot air is pulled from the ceiling area during A/C use.

Also there should be a return air duct in the hall way.

Don't care for accordion duct as all those ridges slow and restrict good air flow.

I would make note of it in my report and state to purchaser it could affect efficiency of heat/cool supply due to placement of return and use of accordion ducting.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Raymond Wand; 12-04-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Tag View Post
    That those are supply registers and not return grilles, returns should not be able to be shut off and those can be closed. Those may also be too small for the required return air.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hi everyone,

I've noted that in all the rooms, the air return is installed on the floor and under the doors.

Thanks
    I don't have a problem with the location, especially if it is on the opposite side of the room from the supply.

Yes, flex is quieter, use it all the time in theater rooms to control sound issues.

Hi everyone,

This is an old house that has been newly renovated. Originally there was electric baseboards but the owner has installed an electric forced-air central furnace. I've noted that in all the rooms, the air return is installed on the floor and under the doors.

Thanks
    Location of returns has little effect on system operation, comfort or efficiency. Size is more important. That size would typically be ok for a standard bedroom. It is small for a large bedroom or other large rooms.