Pat O'Brien Guest

Default New to the forum

Good afternoon, I just found this forum and it looks interesting. I am the Fire Marshal in Lebanon, TN. Have been a fire fighter for 40 years (22 as/ a volunteer FF and the past 18 as a paid fire marshal) and was in construction as a Pipefitter/Welder out of the Nashville, TN Local #572 for 30 years. I compete in air rifle FT shooting for a hobby. Was in the Army in the 50's. I am looking for information on above ground LPG storage tanks. Specifically, are the ends of an LPG tank supposed to be pointed in a direction away from a building. I know that the ends are made so that they are weaker than the sides, so that in a bleve they will go in a certain direction rather than in all directions. Haven't been able to find this in any books or on the net.Thanks and have a great day,Pat

OREP Insurance

Default Re: New to the forum

I have heard that the ends are suppose to blow out first too.

Can't ever remember seeing a horizontal tank being installed perpendicular to a building, always parallel.

See
    http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/Files/Ne...albertcity.pdf

Lessons Learned on page three.

Welcome to the forum, I am sure your background will be most valuable to us all.

Hi Pat,

Welcome to InspectionNews!

We look forward to your replies as a Fire Marshal.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

I have never heard of a requirement on tank orientation. You might try contacting the National Propane Gas Association. For anyone on here who doesn't know, BLEVE is an acronym for boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion or blast leveling everything very effectively as we used to refer to it when I was on the fire dept. Welcome to the forum.

Galen L. Beasley
    Inspections Supervisor
    Housing Authority of Kansas City MO