Thread: no damper?

Default no damper?

Assuming that the bathroom vent fan has a built-in backdraft damper, is this then ok? I would think not but the builder is balking at changing the thing.

vent.jpg

OREP Insurance
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: no damper?

No its not okay. The built in flapper in the fans will not prevent cold air entry. Secondly that is a prime habitat for a bird nest or insect nest.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    No its not okay. The built in flapper in the fans will not prevent cold air entry. Secondly that is a prime habitat for a bird nest or insect nest.
    Thanks. That's what I figured, but I couldn't find anything in the IRC about it. I can't remember ever seeing a bath fan wall cap like that without a damper.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Assuming that the bathroom vent fan has a built-in backdraft damper, is this then ok? I would think not but the builder is balking at changing the thing.

vent.jpg

If they details the rest of the stucco like this then the damper may be the least of their problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    If they details the rest of the stucco like this then the damper may be the least of their problems.
    I think the picture is stucco over masonry, at least. Above that there is stucco over wood frame which has the usual problems.

Also, this is the place with the basement egress from Hell, which I posted back in early November: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ss-ladder.html

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    That's what I figured, but I couldn't find anything in the IRC about it.
    Make life easier - base your reports upon your training, experience and opinion. Put the code books on the back burner - it'll be in keeping with what your agreement probably says anyway. When someone asks me about code I always say "Dunno - I don't do code."

Yes Jerry - I know how this pulls your chain.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    When someone asks me about code I always say "Dunno - I don't do code."

Yes Jerry - I know how this pulls your chain.
    Eric,

Nah, but when someone asks me about code I respond with ... the code section - because ... because I AM doing a code inspection.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John,
    The reason the builder is balking is the time and cost to correct. Even though it is wrong he will fight it.

You might take the tack that the vent was altered from its original design and intent and therefore defective. Defective needs to be replaced.

Even if you were to put a grill cover (for birds) over it it would still be wrong an still would need screening to keep insects out.