Default How to Repair a Notched Beam

How would you repair a notched beam, when the notch is a third from the end of the floor joists, and the joist is 2x8, the notch is about 3 1/2" long and 2 3/4" deep.

Last edited by Sam Grill; 12-09-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: How to Repair a Notched Beam

You mention a beam, but don't mention the size, just the size of the joists above. If the beam is compromised, replace the beam with a comparable member. If replacement is not practical, a repair should be designed by a licensed structural engineer.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    You mention a beam, but don't mention the size,
    Gunnar is correct, the beam size is what needs to be known as the beam is allowed to be notched, and is allowed to be notched up to the 1/3 point, and is allowed to be notched up to 1/3 the actual depth of the beam, meaning that ... it is possible ... that the notch may be allowed (depending on the size of the beam).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Gunnar is correct, the beam size is what needs to be known as the beam is allowed to be notched, and is allowed to be notched up to the 1/3 point, and is allowed to be notched up to 1/3 the actual depth of the beam, meaning that ... it is possible ... that the notch may be allowed (depending on the size of the beam).
    Yep, my apologies, "and is allowed to be notched up to 1/3 the actual depth of the beam" should have been:

"and is allowed to be notched up to 1/6 the actual depth of the beam"

Got carried away typing 1/3 ... 1/3 ... 1/3 ... me bad, need to be more careful next time - thank you Raymond.

I should have said that the notch could be 1/3 the depth for the max length of the notch, but the notch is only allowed to be 1/6 of the depth of the beam.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You are welcome Jerry, we are all here to help one another. I am just glad you did not hit the 6 key 3 times - 666. In which case you could have said the 'devil made me do it!'

Around here you are not allowed to touch any beam without structural analysis.

Just to muddy the waters a bit, but...

https://engineering.purdue.edu/~jliu...tching_IBC.pdf

In just reading the one page it seems these rules apply even (using sawn lumber) if there is a point load? Or, is there another page that addresses that issue and this page applies only to uniformly loaded beams?

Seems odd that if someone spec'd a beam size (sawn lumber) to carry a load, and you meet the code requirements for notching all is well. I think the designer might have some say depending how the beam is loaded and where the notch is located.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Grill View Post
    How would you repair a notched beam, when the notch is a third from the end of the floor joists, and the joist is 2x8, the notch is about 3 1/2" long and 2 3/4" deep.
    Got any pictures, Sam? A wide shot or two, and a close-up.

Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lamb View Post
    Got any pictures, Sam? A wide shot or two, and a close-up.
    Typical HI forum - a notched beam and a hot girl are mentioned and the first question is for pictures................... of the beam

Where a beam is split or is found notched, anything that is obvious improvement should be considered, for prompt action. Here is what I have done:
    Energy Conservation How To: Strong Attic Floors

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wood View Post
    Too bad you are not an InterNachi Inspector Jerry as you would get to see a Hot chick do a presentation on Notches and Stairs at Nachi tv.

Seriously doubt even with "hot chick" there would be much to learn by Jerry.
    Or is "chick" the purpose of watching for you and information is irrelevant, marketing demonstration?

Found the Stair Chick...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 12-20-2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: aded pict

Here's an option (assuming that the notch is not within the allowed limits): Metwood Joist Reinforcers | Floor Joist Repair | Metwood Store

I'm very curious--Is it now common practice for home inspectors to recommend how to make structural repairs? Seems like it could make for some potential problems, if/when the buyer proceeds to do "what the inspector told me to do," and the structure suffers a significant failure. Even if the failure occurs elsewhere (and unrelated to the repaired member), we all know the lawyers will name the home inspector who proposed specific repair methods (and his/her liability carrier) as defendants in the lawsuit.

It's been a few years since I've been out of the inspection business--Have most SOPs since changed to allow inspectors to make structural repair recommendations?

Bridgeman,
    It boils own to the inspector being considered competent by license or experience to offer direction on how to affect a repair. If you have standing to design and perform the repair then you have a standing to offer the recommendation for the repair.

You would be surprised how much info she packed in that little video.
    Kevin,

Not being able to watch the video ... what did she say about that handrail on the wall? Curious as to what she addressed versus what is shown.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

.........I can't remember exactly what she says but it is bang on for education. ............

Sorry that seems at odds with good education.... Maybe it is your phraseology......

You can get access if you want by signing up as a student.
    Being as I am always learning new things ... I guess I qualify as a "student", right?

I tried to register as a student but it wants me to also apply for membership, guess I am out of luck on watching the video ... unless Lisa can PM me access to it ...

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 12-23-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added second part of post about trying to register as a student
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Nick will give you access I almost guarantee it.
    I will be back later today and will check my email for it, or even over the weekend is fine.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry according to Nick all you need to do is sign up it is free for students not that you are just a student.
    Free student membership. - InterNACHI
    Kevin,

That is the same link from last night - it starts off with "I am a..." and then gives an option to select "Non-Member (applying for membership)" or "InterNACHI Member (renewing membership)".

I am neither.

That is the problem. Maybe Nick can put up a "Guest" link? I promise to be a nice and tidy guest - I'll even vacuum my room and make the bed with clean linens when I leave.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I will see if they can set up a temporary pass for Veteran HI's.
    I don't think he will open that up to the everyday public.
    I will provide feed-back, good or bad, so he knows how he did on it (not that Nick did it, but Nick commissioned to have it done).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com