Default Electrical Panel in Bathroom

Inspected a condo today that was built in 1978. The electrical panel was located in the basement bathroom (shower, sink and toilet). I know this cant be acceptable, even for 1978 ? Correct?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Electrical Panel in Bathroom

I don't have code books that go back that far, but more recent codes would prevent the panel in the bathroom. Also even if it were permitted the workspace requirements have been encrouched upon.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

The prohibition against locating panelboards in bathrooms did not come into the NEC until the 1993 Edition.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The prohibition against locating panelboards in bathrooms did not come into the NEC until the 1993 Edition.
    Do you have code books to reference back to ? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    Do you have code books to reference back to ? Thank you
    I looked it up in my code books, yes.

I started at 1971 and worked my way back toward the present until it first appeared, that was in the 1993 NEC.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

glennpelletier Guest

An electrical panel in bathroom is totally not acceptable as it is surely going to bring about lot of electrical hazards such as short circuits and burn outs. May be in 1978 there were no checklists associated with this type of panel placement. Many people do consider panel replacement due to many factors which includes the protective measures such as surge protection which if installed can minimize electrical hazards to great extend.

image.jpg (30.8 KB)

Probably fake, but still hilarious.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Brad Richter; 03-11-2014 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Abram View Post
    Interesting thoughts but incorrect .
    The reason the bathroom location was prohibited by the NEC is that it may not be accessible if someone was using the bath and the door is locked..
    Jim,

Where did you get that misinformation from?

If that was the reason then electrical panels would not be allowed in bedrooms.

The reason electrical panels are not allowed in bathrooms is because of the safety aspect and being dangerous and unsafe in the bathroom.

In fact, and as much as I disagree with this, many non-residential installations have their panel(s) in the bathroom.

I disagree that location should be allowed for the reason you gave - because all occupants are required to have ready access to their overcurrent devices and locked bathroom doors prevent ready access.

As much as I disagree with it, there are others here who agree with it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I am quite familiar with this Code change proposal and know for a fact that the reason was access .
    I'm game ... show us why you know that for a fact.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Sorry Jerry - It is time for you to back up your claim .

If moisture was the problem and made a panel box dangerous and unsafe , why is it acceptable to have a circuit breaker box on the exterior?
    I'm game ... show us why you know that for a fact.
    Are you two going too do this all over, again?

Less back and forth if I just watch Fox, then MSNBC.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Sorry Jerry - It is time for you to back up your claim .

If moisture was the problem and made a panel box dangerous and unsafe , why is it acceptable to have a circuit breaker box on the exterior?
    Jim,

As usual, you are trying to mix two different things into one to try to support your thinking.

A) The panel being unsafe and hazardous in the bathroom cannot be compared to a panel being installed outside ... not unless it rains, snows, winds blow, etc in your bathroom ... maybe they but not in most bathrooms, at least not until the structure around and over the bathroom are blown down/blown away.

The hazard in the bathroom is to the occupants of the bathroom.

B) The panel outside is enclosed in an enclosure which is supposed to protect the interior components from the deterioration effects of the outdoor environment.

Seldom would you have people being wet from a shower or bath, with or without clothes on bathrobes on going outside in the vicinity of and around the panel installed outside.

If you do not understand the above, maybe some of the others here will add to or refine my descriptions for you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Interesting thoughts but incorrect .
    The reason the bathroom location was prohibited by the NEC is that it may not be accessible if someone was using the bath and the door is locked..
    Using that logic, why are bedrooms not prohibited for the same reason (or outdoor utility rooms).

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

My thought is that most bedrooms at the time did not have locks. I was building at the time and never put locks on bedroom doors.
    I've owned many houses and not a single one did not have locks on the bedroom doors, that is why they are referred to as "privacy locksets".

... a panel box is not allowed in a motel rooms and both were instituted at the same time .
    Jim,

That's the second time you have said that ... this is the second time asking for your reference as to where you got that information.

Panels *are not prohibited* from being in motel rooms and guest rooms by the NEC, what source do you have which is prohibiting panels in motel rooms and guest rooms?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I looked it up in my code books, yes.

I started at 1971 and worked my way back toward the present until it first appeared, that was in the 1993 NEC.

Yes code was changed in1993 but many houses and remodels prior to 1993 had electrical panel in bathrooms. My house was remodeled by previous owner (1980's), add two rooms to make it a a bigger master and bathroom. I have a meter and breaker outside the house and one panel downstairs and another in the bathroom upstairs. It has been there over 30 years. No corrosion or moisture issues. I just had a wire run by an electrician to outside for hot tub, no access issues. Surely there must be grandfather clause. Moving panel is not easy especially if you don't have enough free wire length. My panel located behind triple medicine cabinet in the middle with a door over the panel and medicine cabinet mirror door over that. Power to the house can be shutoff from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Mostashari View Post
    Surely there must be grandfather clause.

For existing legal installations, legal at the time of the installation per the code applicable at that location and time, yes, allowed to remain ... unless something is done that requires its replacement, then it needs to be relocated.

My panel located behind triple medicine cabinet in the middle with a door over the panel and medicine cabinet mirror door over that. Power to the house can be shutoff from outside.
    That was never allowed by code - nothing in front of the panel.

Having that door over the panel, and the medicine cabinet mirror over that ... not allowed and needs to be relocated for that reason (or take the medicine cabinet mirror down and remove the door over the panel).

If you go to relocate the panel so you can leave that medicine cabinet ... it needs to be relocate out of the bathroom.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

According to the 1992 NEC TCR and TCD, Fred hartwell introduced the restriction on overcurrent devices in bathrooms because of the combination of wet hands, bare feet, and "fog," to use his words. Glenn Zeisneiss rescued the rejected proposal by adding "permanently installed," because the panel had interestingly considered GFCI devices as overcurrent devices.

Attached Files Attached Files