Default Hydro-therapy Tub Motor ?

Does the motor to the hydro-therapy tubs actually have to be accessible?

Had one today that had an access panel, but the motor was on the far end of the tub and was not visible. All of them I've seen in the past if they had an access panel at all you could see the motor. This is a first for me.

If it has to be serviced, either the custom built in cabinets in the den room would have to be cut away to gain access or removal of the exterior bricks.

Thanks,

rick

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Hydro-therapy Tub Motor ?

IRC 2003 4109.3 Accessibility. Hydromassage bathtub electrical equipment shall be accessible without damaging the building structure or building finish.

The definition for Accessible (as applied to equipment) Admitting close approach; not guarded by locked doors, elevation or other effective means.

I understand the newest edition changes the wording to "Readily Accessible" to tighten up the requirements.

I think your example fails to meet the current standard, much less the newer standard.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Thanks Jim!

rick

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Rick,

Did you do the same house I did today?

K-Hovanian "New Home Final" in Murphy.

Same situation with the H/T tub. Access panel under vanity cabinet for one end of access. To get to the plumbing all the tile would have to be removed, etc., etc.

No, but not far down the road from you.

I was right down Murphy Rd. over in Garland near 78 in a Drees development.

Seems like right now all we're doing is the bigger new homes for a change. These folks told me the builder dropped the price down like 40K to move some specs they had.

Good deals out there right now on new construction.

NOW is the time to buy in my opinion if you've thought about moving or upgrading to a bigger home for sure. (Sounded like realtor BS didn't it)

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    To get to the plumbing all the tile would have to be removed,
    Getting "to the plumbing" is not the problem there anymore than it would be to get to the plumbing of, say, a shower and tub valve, or the riser to the shower head.

It's only "the pump motor" which needs to be accessible for repair or replacement.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 10-18-2007 at 11:55 AM. Reason: speelin'
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Eric Shuman Guest

The codes cited earlier in this thread pretty much sum it up, but FWIW, I spoke to a local building official in my area once and his rule of determination was whether or not it was within arms length of the access cover so it could thus be easily removed for servicing.

Eric

Eric,

What we're seeing is no access cover at all in most instances or once the panel is removed you can't see the pump or motor at all.

rick

Eric Shuman Guest

Rick,

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of both of those issues too. One of my favorites is when they have the metal access hatch mounted in the exterior wall in the stone or brick veneer and when you open up the hatch, you see that they never cut out the osb sheathing behind it for access, or if they did, there is no motor in sight like you said.

Eric

Just got off the phone with the city inspector (AHJ) and their requirement is that a 12X12 access panel be present so that the motor can be accessible for repairs or complete removal. NO plumbing lines or Electrical wiring can block the access to the motor either.

Sounds close to what someone mentioned earlier. Who was that person?

rick