Default Entry level camera prices coming down

I see that entry level camera prices are going down. I've been looking at the FLIR E4, it's only $995. Would like to get some reviews from anyone using this model.

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Entry level camera prices coming down

I think there is a Fluke version of that tool as well. It is better described as an IR thermometer than a camera, in that it displays a smaller patch than the camera. No, I haven't tried one.

But to display a heated floor or a missing insulation batt in a report, I think you want a wider field of view.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    I see that entry level camera prices are going down. I've been looking at the FLIR E4, it's only $995. Would like to get some reviews from anyone using this model.

I would recommend buying the best you can afford. The resolution of this camera is 80x60. This is fine when you have a good temperature difference. If you will be using this camera when there is not a large temperature difference it may be hard to see all the details.

For the money it is a great camera. If you have not had any training with IR, I would recommend training. Some of the larger training facilities typically charge more than this camera cost.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by sandi rahmat View Post
    I agree with this quote, you should training with IR first so your camera will not be wasted ...

go big...T640

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    I ordered an E5 and should have it this week or next. I have no formal training with one, LOL so we will see what happens. I am not an inspector (although I keep toying with it) but am a landlord/ real estate broker/ former builder and will just be using it on my personal stuff to solve some mysteries or confirm that I got an issue.

I really wanted a BX40 or 50 but just couldn't justify the price for now, figured if I liked the E5 and it does what I am pretty sure it will it might motivate me to getting licensed as an inspector and getting a much better camera.

Will report how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pagozalski View Post
    I ordered an E5 and should have it this week or next. I have no formal training with one, LOL so we will see what happens. I am not an inspector (although I keep toying with it) but am a landlord/ real estate broker/ former builder and will just be using it on my personal stuff to solve some mysteries or confirm that I got an issue.

I really wanted a BX40 or 50 but just couldn't justify the price for now, figured if I liked the E5 and it does what I am pretty sure it will it might motivate me to getting licensed as an inspector and getting a much better camera.

Will report how it goes
    I ordered an E6 three weeks ago and just received word today that FLIR has them on back order till the end of April! You might want to check...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I ordered an E6 three weeks ago and just received word today that FLIR has them on back order till the end of April! You might want to check...
    it better not be LOL........I ordered mine in late January was told then I would get it in late February which came and went. Monday of this week I bypassed the company I ordered it from and called Flir directly and the customer service rep couldn't give me any information and some how they transferred me to the cell phone of senior district sale manager for my area. We both realized pretty quickly that should not have happened, but the guy was helpful and understanding and said email everything and I will get you some information. I did and he relied a few hours later that I should have my camera before the week is over.

FYI not sure if you have heard but the reason for the back order is the entire E series uses the same exact hard ware and someone figured out how to hack the software and could turn an E4,5 or 6 into an E8. Of course that would void any and all warranties and you could never send the camera to Flir for any reason. Not something I would try or expect 95% of the people who would by an IR camera to try either

got mine today..........letting the battery charge up for now, but did turn it on and played with it for 10 mins and I am about as excited as a kid on Christmas morning who just got a new bike. Can already tell (or who knows, as I have no formal training and have never even seen another one in person) some of the differences between this one and more expensive ones but I could care less. I will be truly shocked if this doesn't exceed my expectations for what I want out of it.

got mine today..........letting the battery charge up for now, but did turn it on and played with it for 10 mins and I am about as excited as a kid on Christmas morning who just got a new bike. Can already tell (or who knows, as I have no formal training and have never even seen another one in person) some of the differences between this one and more expensive ones but I could care less. I will be truly shocked if this doesn't exceed my expectations for what I want out of it.
    Well, that feller you spoke with must have had a little pull because I just received notice that my camera shipped today and I will have it tomorrow! Thank you Mike!!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Well, that feller you spoke with must have had a little pull because I just received notice that my camera shipped today and I will have it tomorrow! Thank you Mike!!
    LOL you are welcome..........am curious to see what you think, played with it for about 2 hrs yesterday and went all around my building just to see different stuff and I am impressed with it. I have a list of "gripes" about the camera but I am pretty sure everyone of them is covered in a more expensive/ capable camera.

LOL you are welcome..........am curious to see what you think, played with it for about 2 hrs yesterday and went all around my building just to see different stuff and I am impressed with it. I have a list of "gripes" about the camera but I am pretty sure everyone of them is covered in a more expensive/ capable camera.
    I have had a IR camera for several years, have the Level II cert and T-Shirt to go with it!

I think this camera will be better than my B-Cam SD that I paid twice as much for a few years ago. For the work I use it for I think it will be more than enough, I use the IR just as I would use a moisture meter. I might not use it every time but I have it if I need it.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I have had a IR camera for several years, have the Level II cert and T-Shirt to go with it!

I think this camera will be better than my B-Cam SD that I paid twice as much for a few years ago. For the work I use it for I think it will be more than enough, I use the IR just as I would use a moisture meter. I might not use it every time but I have it if I need it.
    well I am still curious what you think as you know what your doing and have another camera to compare it to

well I am still curious what you think as you know what your doing and have another camera to compare it to
    I just played with the E6 a little tonight. I like the simple menu controls, the feel and balance of the camera. I like the target features (hot, cold, center). The MSX feature is killer, this is going to be a game changer.... I'll have a chance next week to try it out in the field so we shall see.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Well Scott, how are you liking the E6?

If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bombardiere View Post
    not Scott but I can give my 2 cents..........its funny all the things that E series can't do or doesn't offer were things that when I decided to give my E5 a shot I didn't think would really matter to me. Having played with it now for 10-12 hrs and running all over my building and trying to use it in every way I can think of, all of those features and options would be nice and would make things easier LOL. But I don't think I would personally pay more for them for what I am doing so I am quite happy and impressed with the E5. It took me a lot longer to learn how to use Side Imaging sonar on my boat than this camera. (HDS-9 Gen2 Touch - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics)

now I want a Flir Scout just as a dumb man toy

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bombardiere View Post
    I like the E6? The MSX feature works great to outline what you are viewing. For the price it is a good camera.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I just clicked on the Flir ad from the home page concerning the Flir C2
    FLIR C2 | FLIR Systems
    Does anyone have any experience with it? My first thought was at $699 it can't be much good but given the trend in electronics maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the time has come for all inspectors to carry one a thermal imager.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Hi Jim,

I did pretty much the same thing and clicked on the link. It looks like resolution is much lower on the point & shoot than on the better models, but I was wondering if it would be good enough. I was considering buying one from Amazon and trying it out. They have a good return policy, so it would essentially be risk-free. I have a friend with a nice high-end Flir IR camera and I could compare the two.

Right now, it's more the time that I don't have to invest.

Hmmm.... What to do, what to do?

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Why don't you go to Home Depot, they have one for $250