Default Thermostat Location ?

Have noticed more lately that installers are placing the thermostats for the HVAC in a bedroom.

For example, today I had a home that had the upstairs thermostat located in a bedroom that will probably more than likely be a childs room.

If the bedroom is closed off or the door is shut, won't it likely affect the temperature for the entire upstairs area?

Why wouldn't they just centrally locate it on a wall somewhere upstairs? Seems they just install the thermostats directly below where the unit is located in the attic space.

rick

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Kevin Barre Guest

Default Re: Thermostat Location ?

That's a valid concern. If there is one central return, the t'stat should be near that to sense an average temp for the entire zone. If the return is in a goofy location, e.g., near the oven, or an exterior door subject to being opened a lot, I could see mounting the t'stat at a remote location. But mounting it in a bedroom where the door is likely to be closed is goofy, it seems to me. Then again, maybe the child in that bedroom is allowed to be the princess and control everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Barre View Post
    Then again, maybe the child in that bedroom is allowed to be the princess and control everything...
    Welcome to Dallas.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Rick,

Any "jumper return" duct in the bedroom? That would help a "tad".

I've been seeing that off/on for the past year or so as well.

Nolan,

No jumper type vent as you mentioned.

The return air vent was located in the gameroom on the other side of this second floor area.

This is a new home, never lived in and check out this drain pan and the drain lines. What problems must lay ahead.

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Ouch ! That sucks to have one like that fresh built and all.

I've had a couple where the flex ducts are nice & secure to the collar on the plenum, but the collar "hold-em" tabs are not bent to secure it to the plenum ... then the mastic splits and it all lifts off.

The K-Hovanian, yesterday, also had a non-functioning dish washer and a hydro-therapy tub that took 10-minutes to drain from a full condition. Two thermal seals broken on windows and so on ... "Normal Stuff" it seems.