Default Flexible water supply connectors in crawlspace

As far as I know flexible water supply connectors are not allowed to be routed or used in concealed areas such as crawlspaces. These flexible connectors are being used for dishwasher supply connection. The reason they did this is that the home has two dishwashers, this one is not located near a sink. Just looking for some clarification on this.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Flexible water supply connectors in crawlspace

A dishwasher needs a flexible hose connection. If everything else was OK, I would probably not get too excited about this set up. Shut off valve in a crawlspace is not the end of the world.

If you're in an area that uses IRC:

P2905.7 Flexible water connectors.
    Flexible water connectors, exposed to continuous pressure, shall conform to ASME A112.18.6/CSA B125.6. Access shall be provided to all flexible water connectors.

If you can get there, then there's access.

Dom.

The valve also has to be accessible.

The definition of 'access' is a bit limited in the plumbing sections of the residential code, however, the dishwasher is addressed by the mechanical sections of the residential code - the requirements for access are more stringent in the mechanical sections.

The plumbing sections do not permit that flexible connector to be in a concealed location (attics, crawlspaces, etc. are considered as concealed locations.

The flexible connector is not an approved substitute for the approved types of piping allowed to be used for branch piping - that needs to be replaced with proper piping.

The access to the valve is questionable, at best, and should be up by the appliance.

Going to the mechanical code for installation and access to appliances (and their connections) leads to having more information about the location under the floor, access opening size, distance from opening, width and height of passageway to the connector and the valve, etc., however, if that was replaced with piping approved for branch piping then the problem goes away.

As far as not having much heartburn about it - consider getting a call at mid-night from your client asking you WTH is the shut-off for the dishwasher as the flexible supply burst and water is flooding the entire house - get your butt out here NOW AND TURN THIS #@$% WATER OFF!

Not a call I would even want to think about receiving, but that just might be me thinking I owe my client's more than that?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I stated in the report that these type of flexible connectors should not be used in concealed areas such as crawlspaces. After all these types of connectors are not designed to last as long at the water supply piping itself. I would also expect that these types of connectors are more prone to frost/freeze damage. The flexible connector was leaking at fitting in crawlspace, recent low temps around zero degrees may have caused damage, home was built in 2008.

In my work as a contractor, we would never think of putting a valve necessary for emergency shut off in a concealed/partially accessable space. Could you even think of what it would be like to reach that valve should there be a leak? That crawlspace would be a swamp. Been there, done that. Not only is it not code compliant, it is impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    I stated in the report that these type of flexible connectors should not be used in concealed areas such as crawlspaces. After all these types of connectors are not designed to last as long at the water supply piping itself. I would also expect that these types of connectors are more prone to frost/freeze damage. The flexible connector was leaking at fitting in crawlspace, recent low temps around zero degrees may have caused damage, home was built in 2008.
    Logic, that sometimes doesn't apply , would dictate that as a WH, sink, toilet, etc., usually have shut-off valves next to it, then why wouldn't a dishwasher, no matter how many they have installed. From that point I would check the codes. As stated earlier in this thread, you wouldn't want that angry 2 AM call!

I have seen this done before and as Jerry stated not compliant. Like many things it will work but it is wrong.

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com