Thread: Sink drain

Default Sink drain

Never saw this type drain before. Is it installed correctly?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Sink drain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Roshak View Post
    Hi Richard,

Shown is a bottle trap. KOHLER | K-9033 | Contemporary Round Bottle Trap

* several installation instructions on line.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Roshak View Post
    I think it is either a bottle trap or a fancy P-trap that they make for exposed use. Maybe they are even the same thing. I don't think it should be that high, but I know nothing about bottle traps.

That is a bottle trap
    No, it is not installed correctly

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

As installed it amounts to an s-trap which is not allowed under current code. The trap arm should be at level with the inlet to the wall t.

That can be really useful , especially if you have kids like mine who used to throw their Popsicle sticks into the sink (of course the sticks would go down the drain) With a price tag of $ 140 that is a very pricey trap ...... and yes it was installed wrong , but I did want to point out how useful it could be. Beats taking a p-trap apart , just drop the bottle and get the sticks out.

John Slaughter Guest

It is stated that the install is not correct, does anyone have a picture or link to see a correctly installed unit?

Quote Originally Posted by John Slaughter View Post
    It is stated that the install is not correct, does anyone have a picture or link to see a correctly installed unit?
    I don't have a photo with me, however, you see the horizontal pipe coming out of the trap and it turns down - that should not turn down, it needs to slope down slightlyto vent stack, but if the pipe were to fill with water to the overflow of the trap (trap weir) the water would not be high enough to block the vent.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John Slaughter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I don't have a photo with me, however, you see the horizontal pipe coming out of the trap and it turns down - that should not turn down, it needs to slope down slightlyto vent stack, but if the pipe were to fill with water to the overflow of the trap (trap weir) the water would not be high enough to block the vent.
    So the tail piece from the sink needs to be longer so the pipe from the side of the trap runs with slight fall to the sanitary tee in the wall. So I assume there is some kind of baffle in the trap to make the trap hold water to stop sewer gas? Looks like this would hold sediment after a while and need cleaning? Thanks for you comment Jerry.

So the tail piece from the sink needs to be longer so the pipe from the side of the trap runs with slight fall to the sanitary tee in the wall. So I assume there is some kind of baffle in the trap to make the trap hold water to stop sewer gas? Looks like this would hold sediment after a while and need cleaning? Thanks for you comment Jerry.
    Correct.

I am back at my office and will mark up that photo to show it.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Jerry Peck; 12-28-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: added touched up photo
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

There is an internal partition like this drawing shows:

You might want to check your area to see if they are allowed. They are not allowed around here.

Yes, you can extend the tailpiece down, but there is a limit to how far down, I know in WI it's 15 inches, in other areas it can be 24 inches.

Griffen Guest

Prohibited in Canada under the 2010 plumbing code.

Bottle traps are against most codes. It is defiantly against the Illinois Plumbing code. Part d say there is to be no partitions which is how a bottle trap works, so it is a prohibited trap.

Section 890.410 Fixture Traps/Continuous Waste

d) Type of Traps. Traps shall have a uniform and smooth interior, and shall have no partitions or movable parts. The trap seal shall be non-adjustable.

k) Prohibited Traps. Use of the following traps is prohibited (see Appendix D: Illustration E):

1) Traps which depend upon the action of movable parts for their seal.

2) Full "S" traps. Exception: Water closet and similar fixtures which depend on self-siphonage for their proper operation.

3) Bell traps.

4) Crown vented traps.

5) Unvented running traps.

6) Fixtures with concealed interior partitioned traps. Exception: Fixtures with integral traps constructed of vitrified earthenware and penal institutional fixtures with integral traps constructed of ferrous material.