Default Did you look at the deck material?

Saw an article about TimberSil that made me think about the many times that materials are not installed correctly and the resulting consequences. Then received a call about the need for stainless steel screws and hangers ($$) on a deck. As these new materials get some age on them there will be a flood of people wondering why their decks are falling apart. Hopefully before that, someone will be pointing out the signs of the future disaster. Then there is the issue of an HI not mentioning the potential problem that should have been recognized and noted as part of the inspection. But that may be a discussion for another thread.

Timbersil (TimberSIL's website) has surfaced with it’s inherent problems, which is only the most recent example of the problems with the forced evolution (required replacement by our environmental fanatical friends). Like most things there are installation requirements. Some requirements are more important than other. The article seems to fault the manufacture, but I would have to look at the installation methods employed before I would put all of the blame on the manufacture. Personally I would not use the product due to its design method being basically a surface treatment of the wood.

The article:
    Wood product said to be rotting in 'green'-built homes | NewOrleansNews | The Advocate ? Baton Rouge, LA

Unlike CCA (Cromated Coper Arsenate) that did not require the use of stainless steel connectors and fasteners if use where the wood be subjected to water or high moisture. The new materials come with inherent problems depending on their method of achieving their use in the external environment against different organisms.

The new alternatives:
    Cooked Wood ( thermally-modified wood),
    Pickled Wood (Acetylation),
    Glassy Wood (TimberSil - liquid glass penetrates the woods surface, hardens and forms a permanent bond
    surrounding the wood fibers),

Micronized Copper preseratives, Solubilized Copper preservatives
    Alkaline Copper Quarternary (ACQ-C, ACQ-D, ACQ-D Carbonate), yellow color
    Micronized Copper Quat (MCQ), colorless
    Copper Azole (CA-B & CA-C, μCA-C), greenish brown color
    Sodium Borates (SBX/DOT). blue color

Understanding the inherent problems with each of the new treatment processes will give you an edge on what to look for and where to look as you inspect a home. Understanding the requirements for working with each of the materials will give you the understanding of the inherent problems in each of the different materials.

Something else to do when you have the spare time.

As a side note:
    There is still CCA treated material available, but there are EPA restrictions for its use.
    You see it as Salt Treated/Green (CCA):

Approved Uses for CCA Treated Wood
    Agricultural Timbers and Poles
    Livestock Fencing
    Marine Construction – pilings and cross arms
    Utility Poles
    Foundation Piling
    Highway Uses
    Permanent Wood Foundations

Why did I post this? Just to get those that have not put much thought into what they may/should be looking at in the present or near future.

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 01-09-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Did you look at the deck material?

I remember my grandfather and my dad putting homemade fence posts in a barrel of copper sulfate and water mixture and let the soak for a long time. I think some of those old posts have yet to rot. And anytime lumber were up against a concrete structure and/or near ground, they would treat that part with copper sulfate. Use to get bags of it, was sold as snake poison I think, not sure. I do know it worked cause some of those old barns stiull around with that same lumber that was treated.

Mike