Default CSST Penetrating Aluminum / Steel Siding

Can someone outline exactly how the manufacture requires CSST to be protected where it is installed through metal siding (aluminum or steel) and where that is addressed in the manufacturer's installation instructions. In this specific example there is no fitting in place where the CSST is installed through the wall (i.e. CSST through rim joist, through metal siding, 90 degree bend, and then extended vertically down the exterior wall). Thanks.

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: CSST Penetrating Aluminum / Steel Siding

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kolar View Post
    Can someone outline exactly how the manufacture requires CSST to be protected where it is installed through metal siding (aluminum or steel) and where that is addressed in the manufacturer's installation instructions. In this specific example there is no fitting in place where the CSST is installed through the wall (i.e. CSST through rim joist, through metal siding, 90 degree bend, and then extended vertically down the exterior wall). Thanks.
    Take a look at this, I think it should give you what you are looking for...
    http://www.tracpipe.com/Customer-Con...-001_01-14.pdf

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I had reviewed the Gastite install guide before making this post, which is very similar to the TracPipe guide Scott posted. In both, I see where it is "required" to sleeve the gas line when installed through a masonry wall or chimney and "recommended" when installed through a wood framed wall. I also see reference to protecting the pipe from mechanical damage (which seems to be applicable in passive sort of way). I also see where plastic grommets are "recommended" where installed through metal studs (similar situation). However, I am having a hard time finding anything that specifically addresses the installation I described above (through a wood framed wall with exterior metal siding (i.e. sharp edges)). I attached a photo as an example.

A140107 007.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kolar View Post
    I had reviewed the Gastite install guide before making this post, which is very similar to the TracPipe guide Scott posted. In both, I see where it is "required" to sleeve the gas line when installed through a masonry wall or chimney and "recommended" when installed through a wood framed wall. I also see reference to protecting the pipe from mechanical damage (which seems to be applicable in passive sort of way). I also see where plastic grommets are "recommended" where installed through metal studs (similar situation). However, I am having a hard time finding anything that specifically addresses the installation I described above (through a wood framed wall with exterior metal siding (i.e. sharp edges)). I attached a photo as an example.

A140107 007.jpg
    You just need to call their technical desk. I have started to do this more and more with various products when install guides do not help me. My experience has shown that the manufacturers list the most common issues in their guides.

The key is that the pipe needs to be protected from damage.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com