Default Loss of Tax Benefits

During our discussions many have talked about the various pay rates and reimbursement fees for mileage. I would be interested in hearing from FR's and how changes in the tax code have dramatically affected our ability to be profitable in this business. (Laughter) In the last couple of years the IRS has removed many deductions that small business owners like many FR's rely upon. I noticed that our home office space no longer applies and you have to have an off site building to get a decent deduction. You are no longer able to deduct the electric, natural gas for the portion of your office and so on. They also have formulas that dramatically reduce or eliminate any of the standard deductions that are common in our field.

With the poor wage structure that Mueller pays and the distance and mileage that many are traveling to complete jobs, I would be interested in hearing how you are off setting the losses in deductions and keep your business going?

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Loss of Tax Benefits

Get a good CPA, they are worth the money.

As Jack said, get a good CPA because the home office deduction still exists. The IRS has added a simpler version also. Home Office Deduction

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

I did home office deduction last filing year and I'm aware of no changes this year.

My CPA has not notified me of any changes. I still take the home office deduction, and plan to for 2013 tax year. Of course, my office complies with IRS regs.