Default Light in the closet

Inspection yesterday and this is what I find in the closet. Who says this job isn't dangerous.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Light in the closet

What is dangerous other than the light fixture?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Lightbulb Re: Light in the closet

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    What is dangerous other than the light fixture?
    Jim- Lighten up...pun intended. Just found humor with an ignition source being so close to ammo.

No need to lighten up, just asking. I saw nothing dangerous except the bulb, which is definitely not on the top of my hazard list.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Actually, not all that humorous. Large fire damage rebuild we did would have been much smaller had the owner not stored his ammo out in the closet. The minute the ammo started going off the fire department pulled out and let the structure burn till the ammo stopped exploding. Dangerous lack of thought.

I wonder how many bulbs have been broken trying to put or take stuff off the shelf? At the very least a bulb cage would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I wonder how many bulbs have been broken trying to put or take stuff off the shelf? At the very least a bulb cage would be a good idea.
    Instead, change the fixture to one which is compliant today - an enclosed fixture ... not that the location would then be compliant, but in its day it probably was ... now, though, even though the location is not compliant the risk would be dramatically reduced with a totally enclosed fixture.

Replacing that incandescent lamp with an LED lamp would also dramatically reduce the risk as the risk is due to the hot tungsten filament particles from a broken bulb landing on clothes and igniting them - remove the tungsten filament and you have removed most of the risk. Not all the risk, but most of the risk.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Torres Jr View Post
    Inspection yesterday and this is what I find in the closet. Who says this job isn't dangerous.
    For a Home Inspection, inspector should cite as dangerous per code.

Other than that, it's probably pre-existing, non-conforming or as others like to say, grand-fathered.

See NEC 2008 (NYS still on this version) 410.16B.

410.16 Luminaires in Clothes Closets.

(A) Luminaire Types Permitted.
    Only luminaires of the following types shall be permitted in a closet. 1) Surface-mounted or recessed incandescent or LED luminaires with completely enclosed light sources(2) Surface-mounted or recessed fluorescent luminaires(3) Surface-mounted fluorescent or LED luminaires identified as suitable for installation within the closet storage space.
    (B) Luminaire Types Not Permitted.
    Incandescent luminaires with open or partially enclosed lamps and pendant luminaires or lampholders shall not be permitted.
    (C) Location.
    The minimum clearance between luminairesinstalled in clothes closets and the nearest point of a closetstorage space shall be as follows:1) 300 mm (12 in.) for surface-mounted incandescent or LED luminaires with a completely enclosed light sourceinstalled on the wall above the door or on the ceiling.(2) 150 mm (6 in.) for surface-mounted fluorescent luminaires installed on the wall above the door or on the ceiling.(3) 150 mm (6 in.) for recessed incandescent or LED luminaires with a completely enclosed light source installed in the wall or the ceiling.(4) 150 mm (6 in.) for recessed fluorescent luminaires installed in the wall or the ceiling.(5) Surface-mounted fluorescent or LED luminaires shall be permitted to be installed within the closet storage
    space where identified for this use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Instead, change the fixture to one which is compliant today - an enclosed fixture ... not that the location would then be compliant, but in its day it probably was ... now, though, even though the location is not compliant the risk would be dramatically reduced with a totally enclosed fixture.

Replacing that incandescent lamp with an LED lamp would also dramatically reduce the risk as the risk is due to the hot tungsten filament particles from a broken bulb landing on clothes and igniting them - remove the tungsten filament and you have removed most of the risk. Not all the risk, but most of the risk.
    Installing a lens on this lamp, would require replacing the fixture, since the fixture is not intended to use a lens. The best way to fix this problem, is to install a sealed, recessed, LED fixture. Very inexpensive compared to replacing with proper incadescent. Not to mention 3 watts LED, compared to 60 watts incadescent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Roberts View Post
    Installing a lens on this lamp ... .
    ??? Not sure who suggested installing a lens on that lamp?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ronald Bittleman Guest

Lightbulb Re: Light in the closet

I see this alot and write it up regardless of the age of the home. I find equally a hazard is the same type of fixture being allowed in a attic space fir servicing the HVAC equipment. Talk about a shock hazard. Look forward to changes in electrical code that would require a closed fixture.

Why do you think that fixture is a shock hazard?

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Bittleman View Post
    I see this alot and write it up regardless of the age of the home. I find equally a hazard is the same type of fixture being allowed in a attic space fir servicing the HVAC equipment. Talk about a shock hazard. Look forward to changes in electrical code that would require a closed fixture.
    Why would this type of fixture be a shock hazard in the HVAC area? If installed correctly there, any exposed meal would be grounded, and with today’s electrical installation practices, read that "cheap" , the box would be plastic---not a shock hazard. My only comments for a HVAC location, it should have a built-in receptacle for powering service equipment (for those in the field ), and possibly a cage. Both comments, I believe, are not code issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Goeken View Post
    Why would this type of fixture be a shock hazard in the HVAC area? If installed correctly there, any exposed meal would be grounded, and with today’s electrical installation practices, read that "cheap" , the box would be plastic---not a shock hazard. My only comments for a HVAC location, it should have a built-in receptacle for powering service equipment (for those in the field ), and possibly a cage. Both comments, I believe, are not code issues.
    Rich; the hazard comes from working in a tight space. I don't know how many bulbs I have broken with my head over the years. The only good thing is the glowing hot filament cauterizes the wound from the broken glass.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Rich; the hazard comes from working in a tight space. I don't know how many bulbs I have broken with my head over the years. The only good thing is the glowing hot filament cauterizes the wound from the broken glass.
    Hay Vern, how about a picture of the top of your head so we can see the patterns??

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Goeken View Post
    Hay Vern, how about a picture of the top of your head so we can see the patterns??
    I would but the fire from the hairspray blurs it out

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.