Rob Belliveau Guest

Default Is Joining ASHI / NAHI / NSHI worth it ?

Good Morning everyone! I am getting into the Home Inspection Service soon. I have been a builder / remodel contractor for almost 30 years now. I am currently reviewing software choices, (pretty much sold on homegauage), but my question is this, is it worth joining an assoc. just for a badge on my chest? It seems to me this is just another scam to through money at. Are there any REAL benefits in joining one?, which one is best? Finally, do you recommend a specific software that performs well, and is reasonably priced . Thanks - Rob

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Is Joining ASHI / NAHI / NSHI worth it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Belliveau View Post
    Good Morning everyone! I am getting into the Home Inspection Service soon. I have been a builder / remodel contractor for almost 30 years now. I am currently reviewing software choices, (pretty much sold on homegauage), but my question is this, is it worth joining an assoc. just for a badge on my chest? It seems to me this is just another scam to through money at. Are there any REAL benefits in joining one?, which one is best? Finally, do you recommend a specific software that performs well, and is reasonably priced . Thanks - Rob
    I would look around your area to see who has an active chapter for any of the associations. You might have to travel an hour or two but you get more out of any professional membership if you are active in a good local chapter. ASHI is the oldest, most respected and has the only nationally accredited certification program of any of the associations.

If you like to associate with other professionals in your profession and develop long term professional relationships that are a source of referrals and mentoring then a professional association is for you. If you don't like to associate with like minds, get referrals, learn from others, tend to look at everything in a negative point of view and just think folks are trying to take your money then you need to join a local coffee club at the corner café. Those that participate and are active in their chapter and or association will get more out of their membership. Those that sit in the shadows and wait for everything to come to them and do not participate are the ones that get little out of their membership. On the average I will receive around 25+ referrals every year that I can trace back to my professional membership. With one good inspection paying for my membership cost, it is a very good return on my investment.

Homegauge is good and many of my friends love it, I chose and use Home Inspector Pro. HIP integrates with several services that HG does not from what I have seen. I have used HIP for about two years, prior to that I used 3D for many, many years.

I have never heard of NSHI and I have been at this for a few years.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Rob Belliveau Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I would look around your area to see who has an active chapter for any of the associations. You might have to travel an hour or two but you get more out of any professional membership if you are active in a good local chapter. ASHI is the oldest, most respected and has the only nationally accredited certification program of any of the associations.

If you like to associate with other professionals in your profession and develop long term professional relationships that are a source of referrals and mentoring then a professional association is for you. If you don't like to associate with like minds, get referrals, learn from others, tend to look at everything in a negative point of view and just think folks are trying to take your money then you need to join a local coffee club at the corner café. Those that participate and are active in their chapter and or association will get more out of their membership. Those that sit in the shadows and wait for everything to come to them and do not participate are the ones that get little out of their membership. On the average I will receive around 25+ referrals every year that I can trace back to my professional membership. With one good inspection paying for my membership cost, it is a very good return on my investment.

Homegauge is good and many of my friends love it, I chose and use Home Inspector Pro. HIP integrates with several services that HG does not from what I have seen. I have used HIP for about two years, prior to that I used 3D for many, many years.

I have never heard of NSHI and I have been at this for a few years.
    Thanks Scott, you are a true professional. Thanks for the advise, look forward to hearing from you again. NSHI = National Society of Home Inspectors

Everything what Scott said, Don't underestimate the value of getting involved with the local or state HI orgs chapter.
    Staying after a meeting asking questions, offering to help pick up chairs, help clean up after the meetings , and offering to do minor projects for the association makes a big impression on the other members that are the chapter leaders and other guys that are busy.
    If you have a specialty that's related to homes or the business end, offer to share your experience at one of the meetings with the chapter members.
    It only takes a few times proving that you are committed to the profession before one of the members take you under their wings, and others will recommend you to their clients if they are too busy.
    Like Scott I get 25-30 referrals every year from the ASHI site and local ASHI and non-ASHI inspectors.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 01-16-2014 at 05:17 PM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

I used to be with NAHI but the organization is on the decline with the number of local chapters shrinking. I did a quick look at the NAHI website and there were more states without chapters than with. ASHI is staying strong and has a well respected certification program that many state licensing boards use. Most Realtors have heard of ASHI but don't know NAHI. I have never heard of NSHI.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Rob:
    For me when I started, I wanted that little seal that said something that many pay no attention to. Later I joined another association and have benefited from it from a marketing and referral standpoint. Our state also has it's own home inspector association and from it I get the personal interaction with others in the business that I find most valuable. Most of the members of our state association are also members of one of the others you mentioned.
    Of the organizations you mentioned, one is the oldest, one claims to be the biggest, and one is a less expensive way to get that seal.
    As for software, I use HomeGauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wilson View Post
    Rob:
    For me when I started, I wanted that little seal that said something that many pay no attention to. Later I joined another association and have benefited from it from a marketing and referral standpoint. Our state also has it's own home inspector association and from it I get the personal interaction with others in the business that I find most valuable. Most of the members of our state association are also members of one of the others you mentioned.
    Of the organizations you mentioned, one is the oldest, one claims to be the biggest, and one is a less expensive way to get that seal.
    As for software, I use HomeGauge.
    Charles, you still ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Belliveau View Post
    I have been a builder / remodel contractor for almost 30 years now.
    Rob, In my view you're not going to be at the top of your game unless you have a way to rub elbows with other inspectors. To know here you stand in your level of knowledge you need a barometer and there isn't a better one than a professional organization and local chapters. But these groups don't do diddly if you're going to sit on your butt - you gotta participate, get to know other inspectors and scope out and attend the top drawer education programs. Your past experience is great to have but it alone won't be enough.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL