Thread: SIS Wiring

Default SIS Wiring

Has anyone ever seen SIS wiring used for electrical circuits in a home? I ran into this today while inspecting a single family residence. Most circuits in the electrical panel used SIS wiring. The wires were marked "SIS" and 12 gauge. The wires were stranded and looked like tin coated or aluminum. After a little research it appears this is primarily used for commercial applications and is known as "Switchboard Wire". Can this be used for residential applications? I called this out as unconventional wiring needing further professional evaluation along with other problems observed in the electrical panel.

Member Benefits1
    Bob Burke
    Northeastern Illinois Area
    www.pro-techt.net

Default Re: SIS Wiring

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Burke View Post
    Has anyone ever seen SIS wiring used for electrical circuits in a home? I ran into this today while inspecting a single family residence. Most circuits in the electrical panel used SIS wiring. The wires were marked "SIS" and 12 gauge. The wires were stranded and looked like tin coated or aluminum. After a little research it appears this is primarily used for commercial applications and is known as "Switchboard Wire". Can this be used for residential applications? I called this out as unconventional wiring needing further professional evaluation along with other problems observed in the electrical panel.
    Wire and Cable ยป SIS Wire: Switchboard Wire and SIS Cable

If the Distribution Panel Manufacture allows it's use and the load on the branch circuit is not over 20 amps it would be correct.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I disagree, this sounds like it is only for use in panels and equipment cabinets etc. The NEC does not have an article covering this type of wire and would not allow its usage.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    I disagree, this sounds like it is only for use in panels and equipment cabinets etc. The NEC does not have an article covering this type of wire and would not allow its usage.
    I agree with Jim.

The NEC addresses SIS wiring in Table 310.104(4) and states the approved "Application Provisions" as "Switchboard wiring only".

That means it is allowed for use as wiring within the switchboard but not outside the switchboard for use as feeders or branch circuits.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Homeowner worked for a company that had a lot of this lying around, got a good price on it, if you know what I mean.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Homeowner worked for a company that had a lot of this lying around, got a good price on it, if you know what I mean.
    Called a "5 finger discount"

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Hope they saved enough to pay for the rewiring.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.