Default Electrical Panel At Pool

Todays defect -

Electrical panel within 12' of in ground pool.

Ground fault protected from main panel in house, but the completely open to the elements.

Yes that is snow behind the panel and on the panel.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Gerry Bennett Guest

Default Re: Electrical Panel At Pool

[QUOTE=Raymond Wand;236499]Todays defect -

Electrical panel within 12' of in ground pool.

Ground fault protected from main panel in house, but the completely open to the elements.

Yes that is snow behind the panel and on the panel.[

Doesn't look like a raintight enclosure, looks like indoor romex wiring, and I think we should be seeing some kind of ground wire, usually #8 solid.

I agree the whole thing is wrong. I called it out for further investigation by electrician prior to close of title and that it required weather proof enclosure. You can bet that panel was not installed by any licenced electrician.

This house was over 100 years old and an addition added and renovations completed to the original house. In my report I stressed to my client and their agent to have their lawyer check that building permit and electrical inspections were carried out prior to close of title.

Of course the owner of the house is allegedly a contractor! Hmmm, yeah, right!

Thanks

Screw further investigation
    Full removal by licensed electrician prior to warm weather and yard/pool use; D&H condition; properly install exterior rated panel at secure location.
    Not only is the install hazardous but it leaves itself open to posing additional hazards based on human behaviour ... bored little boys running around the pool, ooh whats this thing, start playing with the breakers, putting their wet hands all over the panel, etc.
    Dead kids means the phone is going to ring
    Beyond that the romex could easily get damaged and pose an electrocution hazard
    Sorry but when I see pictures like that I don't write the report light

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Further investigation of the binder twine is called for. We want to know why.
    Probably a plastic bag that blew away in the wind.

Since the work was probably done by an amateur without a permit, Raymond is right to warn the buyer that some hidden problems may exist - further evaluation, investigation or say it another way.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

... and yes the 'implications' of such an installation where documented in the report.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Full removal by licensed electrician prior to warm weather and yard/pool use;
    Sorry but when I see pictures like that I don't write the report light
    Completely agree with Markus - there is no reason for anyone to further investigate anything there - remove that sucker ASAP and replace it with the proper equipment for the job and its location.

I would hit things like that with both barrels and follow it up with a few blasts from the old Gatling Gun, and a Surface to Air missile or two just for good measure to make sure the point was clearly made. By the time I was through explaining why it should be removed, at least seven people would be dead from it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Completely agree with Markus - there is no reason for anyone to further investigate anything there - remove that sucker ASAP and replace it with the proper equipment for the job and its location.

I would hit things like that with both barrels and follow it up with a few blasts from the old Gatling Gun, and a Surface to Air missile or two just for good measure to make sure the point was clearly made. By the time I was through explaining why it should be removed, at least seven people would be dead from it.
    Jerry, you have a way with words.......

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

I'm with Markus and Jerry. There is no need for further investigation or "evaluation". It's a completely bad and dangerous installation.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Mbrooke Guest

Fire and shock hazard par excellence.

All wiring installed in a common conduit system must either not be Ground Fault protected.Pool circuits shall be identified in the circuit breaker panel.

Thanks
    epackpolymers.com