Default Heat pump question

I saw a system that was reported to be a heat pump, but I did not see a reversing valve at the compressor. The compressor did operate as a heat pump. Is the reversing valve inside of the compressor?

OREP Insurance
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Default Re: Heat pump question

The only heat pumps I see without a reversing valve are heat only units, such as pool heaters or similar (heat only) units.

Dom.

The reversing valve on a Trane heat pump is behind a cover panel to the left of the service panel cover. You cannot see it looking down through the outdoor fan motor like you do on most heat pumps.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Euriech View Post
    The reversing valve on a Trane heat pump is behind a cover panel to the left of the service panel cover. You cannot see it looking down through the outdoor fan motor like you do on most heat pumps.

Jeff
    This one was an American Standard
    Is that the same

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I found a picture of a reversing valve on a Trane heat pump at this web site: HEAT PUMP TRANE TROUBLESHOOTING - HEAT PUMP

Trane was acquired by American Standard in the 80’s.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Euriech View Post
    I found a picture of a reversing valve on a Trane heat pump at this web site: HEAT PUMP TRANE TROUBLESHOOTING - HEAT PUMP

Trane was acquired by American Standard in the 80’s.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff

I run across a few homes where they list the unit as a heat-pump but are actually an electric forced air furnace, and an A/C unit that uses the same air handler. Most of these are older units, pre 1985. Heat pumps are very popular here, but sometimes what the listing shows is not what is actually found. Yes I have had to explain what a heat-pump is to many agents, buyers and sellers.

Also when I test the heating side of heat-pumps, I try to run it both as a heat-pump and also kick on the Aux or Emergency heat, and note the Temp. rise for each.