Devon White Guest

Default Make a living as a Field Inspector

Hello, I want to start a career as a field inspector. I plan on purchasing the SOFI business starter package to get started. I am having a difficult time finding information on how the industry is doing right now. Can I make a living as a field inspector? I am in Oklahoma if that helps. Thank you in advance.

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Make a living as a Field Inspector

Not to bust your bubble, but have you honestly looked at what field inspector folks are paid and what your expenses are going to be?

It all sounds good until you put the numbers down on paper. Even if you could do 10 a day(which will be very difficult in an 8 hour day) and they paid $25 per job(which is on the high side) that is $250. Take out your income tax, business insurance cost, driving cost(fuels and insurance), Obama care or whatever you have, office expense (phone, computer, internet, camera, etc, etc...) you might make around $5 an hour if you are lucky...

You would do better working as a Tilt-a Whirl greaser at the county fair or flipping burgers at MD's!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I agree with Scott,you would do better flipping burgers and make more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Devon White View Post
    Hello, I want to start a career as a field inspector.
    First, before you let Scott's post scare the bejesus out of you - define what you mean by "field inspector".

If you mean "home inspector", that is one thing, however, if you mean something different (like for insurance companies - see Scott's spot on accurate reply ) or some other type of inspector, we would need to know before replying with any reasonable input.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Devon,
    You might not want to wast the money till you have some insight from others working in that area. There is a thread in this forum with many field inspectors participating. From what I have seen the net income will be very small for the time spent. You know there is a problem when who pays for the paper the report is generated on.

Here is a link that will give you some insight into the area before you toss out $150 or more as you get sucked into a world of promises.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ghlight=kristi

Kristi would be a good resource to contact.

Take a look at the Disclaimer by SOFI. They seem to disclaim everything including their own statement that "Your satisfaction is GUARANTEED".

Jerry,
    Society Of Field Inspectors (SOFI). Networking organization in the field services industry. Insurance company inspections.

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 01-26-2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: P.S.

Default Make a living as a Field Inspector

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Carlos Pineiro; 06-02-2014 at 07:32 AM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Carlos Pineiro; 06-02-2014 at 07:35 AM.