Default cardboard under siding

Cardboard as WRB? Thats a new one on me. Why would they do this? 2005 construction. It was found at the location to the left of the lower double window.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: cardboard under siding

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Cardboard as WRB? Thats a new one on me. Why would they do this? 2005 construction. It was found at the location to the left of the lower double window.
    Hi John,

I can't really tell what I'm looking at from your photos.

Sounds like the window installer did not remove ( cardboard) part of the shipping material attached to the window.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

John,
    Sounds like a product called Thermo-Ply sheathing that some large track builders use to use(Ryan,Ryland,US Homes, Winchester Homes, Pulte etc). It looks like cardboard with foil or poly on the outside layer and about 1/8" thick. Vinyl siding has to be nailed into studs, as this material will not support sidings nailed into it. Can't really tell by your pictures.

Thermo-ply® Protective Sheathing ? OX Engineered Building Products | OX Engineered Products

Quote Originally Posted by James Harlow View Post
    John,
    Sounds like a product called Thermo-Ply sheathing that some large track builders use to use(Ryan,Ryland,US Homes, Winchester Homes, Pulte etc). It looks like cardboard with foil or poly on the outside layer and about 1/8" thick. Vinyl siding has to be nailed into studs, as this material will not support sidings nailed into it. Can't really tell by your pictures.

Thermo-ply® Protective Sheathing ? OX Engineered Building Products | OX Engineered Products

Hi James,

I'm aware of the sheathing you describe and it happened to be installed on this home. However, there was still cardboard under the siding. Good old brown corrugated cardboard like the stuff boxes are made of.

However, there was still cardboard under the siding.

Good old brown corrugated cardboard like the stuff boxes are made of.
    Or wrapped and stapled at the factory around window frames.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Or wrapped and stapled at the factory around window frames.

Only the cardboard was found about 5-6' away from any window. I wanted to unzip vinyl siding for a better look but it was below freezing and I did not want to risk cracking it.

Only the cardboard was found about 5-6' away from any window. I wanted to unzip vinyl siding for a better look but it was below freezing and I did not want to risk cracking it.
    In that case could you smell or taste it. ( could of been Ginger Bread.)