Thread: Heat Lamp

Brandon Adams Guest

Default Heat Lamp

When checking for a heat source in each room, does a heat lamp in a bathroom count? I've had one inspector tell me no and another tell me yes…

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Heat Lamp

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Adams View Post
    When checking for a heat source in each room, does a heat lamp in a bathroom count? I've had one inspector tell me no and another tell me yes…
    No heat is required in the bathroom.

Heat is only required in habitable rooms and bathrooms are not considered habitable rooms.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brandon Adams Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    No heat is required in the bathroom.

Heat is only required in habitable rooms and bathrooms are not considered habitable rooms.
    That's what I thought. Thank you.

And I would not even consider a "Heat" lamp as a heating source.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Brandon Adams Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Thats what the inspector that said no told me. Im not arguing that fact, but why is that you wouldn't consider it a heat source? When you turn it on it gets the bathroom warm. Albeit at a slower pace than a blower, but still...

Thats what the inspector that said no told me. Im not arguing that fact, but why is that you wouldn't consider it a heat source? When you turn it on it gets the bathroom warm. Albeit at a slower pace than a blower, but still...
    A 100W incadescant light bulb will provide heat as well. With a heat lamp the heating source is the bulb, change the bulb out to a normal light bulb and you have a fancy recessed luminary fixture.

Same reason a stove /oven in the kitchen which many use to heat their homes are not considered a heat source for a habital room.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Thats what the inspector that said no told me. Im not arguing that fact, but why is that you wouldn't consider it a heat source?
    A heat source, to be considered a heat source by the code, needs to be able to maintain the temperature setting automatically, thus a wood stove/fireplace is not considered a "heat source" with regard to meeting the requirements of the code.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I report the heat lamp as a heat source, because it IS a heat source on the day of the inspection.

If there is no heat source, I can always recommend an upgrade.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I report the heat lamp as a heat source, because it IS a heat source on the day of the inspection.

If there is no heat source, I can always recommend an upgrade.
    John,

This is from the 2012 IRC: (bold and underlining are mine)
    - R303.9 Required heating. - - When the winter design temperature in Table R301.2(1) is below 60°F (16°C), every dwelling unit shall be provided with heating facilities capable of maintaining a minimum room temperature of 68°F (20°C) at a point 3 feet (914 mm) above the floor and 2 feet (610 mm) from exterior walls in all habitable rooms at the design temperature. The installation of one or more portable space heaters shall not be used to achieve compliance with this section.

And this: (underlining and bold are mine)
    - HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.

IF your code is worded similarly to the IRC, then bathrooms *do not REQUIRE a heating source*.

Additionally, the interpretations (yes, this is one of the not-very-many-sections which actually require 'interpreting') has always been as follows: "shall be provided with heating facilities capable of maintaining" means that the "heating facilities" shall be "capable of maintaining" the desired setting, not that "the occupants" shall be "capable of maintaining" the desired setting by continuously fiddling with the "heating facilities", i.e., the heating facilities shall be operated by some type of automatic control (thermostatic device) which will maintain the stated temperature.

If the occupants were to go to sleep and not feed fuel to the wood heater the heater would not be able to maintain the desired stated temperature and the occupants might wake up frozen ... well, it is a bit difficult to 'wake up frozen', so the better way to say that might be that 'the person checking on the occupants might find the bodies in a frozen state' ... hmmm ... that does not sound very good either ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Fire goes out, you sleep under a Buffalo rug, toasty warm.
    Different perspective.

I don't say the heat lamp is required, just report that it is there.

If a 3-piece bathroom has no heat, I recommend a wall-mount electric fan heater on a thermostat.

I have pictures of extension cords and portable heaters in bathrooms. So it should have heat.

www.allsafehome.ca

I don't say the heat lamp is required, just report that it is there.
    Reporting that there is a heat lamp present is not the same as reporting that a heat source is present. I would not call a heat lamp a "heat source" any more than I would call a 300 watt light bulb a heat source - sure both create "heat", but so does a 60 watt bulb, and if you were raising little chickees and needed heat to keep them warm you might use a 60 watt lamp, heck, the two fluorescent lamps on top of our kitchen cabinets put out some "heat" and the cat (used to be "cats") climb up there and lay on them when if gets chilly outside for the warmth ("heat") the lamps put out - but a "heat source" ... nope.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

No, the 60W ceiling light is inadequate as a heat source. But it can start a fire in a closet. Source of heat.
    The heat lamp is a heat source as long as it has a proper high-watt bulb and a switch that works. Not by your code, but by mine, code of the West.

If it is a small basement bathroom. it can be a good choice for drying out the room, along with an exhaust fan.

www.allsafehome.ca

Frank Adame Guest

I just inspected a brand new $400K home where no supply air was run into an upstairs bathroom but there was supply air in the walk-in closet next to it.

Heat Lamps keep them Corn Dogs "heated" at 7-11 just fine !

Last edited by Jim Hintz; 02-04-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    Heat Lamps keep them Corn Dogs "heated" at 7-11 just fine !
    As would a blow torch.

But I would not consider a blow torch a "heat source" either.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Adame View Post
    I just inspected a brand new $400K home where no supply air was run into an upstairs bathroom but there was supply air in the walk-in closet next to it.

As Maxwell Smart would say " Missed it by thattttttttttt much."