Jeremy Kessler Guest

Default Work for a realtor???

I am a new inspector. Just licensed in January 2014. I have put everything I have into this endeavor. However, with the goal in sight I find myself falling short on enough funds to open my doors. Just a delay until I can scratch up a few more $$$. I have run into a job offer from a realtor looking for an REO Property Inspector. I am curious if anyone here would have any input as to whether this would be helpful to my venture or if it would create a conflict. Has anyone done work like this that would have insight on what to expect?

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Work for a realtor???

It might be good experience for you, and introduce you to more realtors to promote your business. You don't have to sell your ethics down the road to do a good job. Just make sure that the realtor that wants you, is not expecting anything other than a stand up job from you.

Good luck with your new business.

Jeremy Kessler Guest

Thank you Jack. I feel it will be good experience. I am wondering....If my relationship with this company is disclosed on the front end to the client, couldn't I perform paid inspections while employed by them without violating any ethics?

It depends on your status working for them. Obviously, if you are called to inspect a home that they have a vested interest in, you would have to disclose your relationship right away. It would probably be best if you didn't do any inspections that they were involved in. If you are called to inspect a home, and they have nothing to do with the transaction, you really don't have to disclose anything (as far as I know).

I've done inspections where I find out I know the sellers. I tell my clients and give them the option to find someone else. Many times I don't know until I am in the house and see photos, or the sellers are home. It has never been a problem.

Abbie Jean Lynch Guest

To avoid any conflicts between you and the other party, do know your stand and your status in connection with your work you're doing for them. Congratulations, by the way!