Question Insurance Inspection Fees?

I currently do a few inspections for Millennium Information Services. They provide inspection services to most of the major residential insurance carriers. Their payment schedule totally sucks.

I know I'm probably just pissing in the wind but I thought I would do a little research on some of the message boards to provide some feedback to Millennium in an attempt to get them to raise my fee schedule or tell them to just piss off. LOL
    ;
    1. Do any of you guys do these kinds of inspections?
    2. What sort of fee schedule does the company you work with provide?

While there are many variations, the most common inspection they request is called a "Condition Check" which is essentially a drive-by with a few pictures, not even requiring contact with the resident. Fee=$8.50

The next step up is called an "EHP" as in Electrical, Heating & Plumbing inspection which adds additional requirement of making an appointment and entering the house to get additional pictures of the systems.
    Fee=$20.00

Next in line is an exterior only with pictures and a measured footprint sketch of the primary dwelling and any outbuildings. Fee= +$10 over regular fee.

Next Is a "Mid-Value" , typical requiring all of the above plus pictures and comments of all the major rooms.
    Fee= $40.00

Lastly is called a "High-Value" which is essentially a mid-value with considerably more detail such as actually measuring all the rooms and commenting on linear feet of crown molding, base molding, millwork etc. and interviewing the client about age of home, when purchased, when upgrades/replacements were done, value of home, contents, contract employees that have access etc.
    Fee= $90

Last edited by Dana Bostick; 02-07-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    Crawl Space Creeper
    True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Default Re: Insurance Inspection Fees?

You have to be kidding!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McKay View Post
    You have to be kidding!!!!!
    Unfortunately, no. I do very little work for them these days because of this crappy fee structure. I'm gathering information from various inspection boards to forward on to my field supervisor who will then take it to his boss. We have been having an ongoing discussion about this issue.

I don't think they are likely to change substantially so we will probably part ways very soon.

877-466-8504

I live in a rural area in Southwest Virginia and get calls all the time for these type of inspection.

Like a fool sometimes i think i can make some extra income from them and have negotiated for more money but still it don't seem to pay off my new rule is anything uder $75.00 I walk from even if in my back yard.

You need to set yourself some standards for what your work is worth; $8.50 for a drive by with photos doesn't pay the gas. I have gotten many institutional requests for home inspection work I give them the cost, if they don't like it "adios"! Biggest problem is its hard to get paid. Spend you time schmoozing Realtors if your slow it will pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McKay View Post
    You need to set yourself some standards for what your work is worth; $8.50 for a drive by with photos doesn't pay the gas. I have gotten many institutional requests for home inspection work I give them the cost, if they don't like it "adios"! Biggest problem is its hard to get paid. Spend you time schmoozing Realtors if your slow it will pay off.
    Amen. Spend you time getting in front of Realtors.
    The insurance companies get independent inspectors because they would have pay a decent wage to their own people to do the work.
    Most new inspectors do not do a good job calculating how much it costs to do business.
    For what pay, you can do better saying "Would you like fries with that."

Eric Williams Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Bostick View Post
    I currently do a few inspections for Millennium Information Services. They provide inspection services to most of the major residential insurance carriers. Their payment schedule totally sucks.

I know I'm probably just pissing in the wind but I thought I would do a little research on some of the message boards to provide some feedback to Millennium in an attempt to get them to raise my fee schedule or tell them to just piss off. LOL
    ;

While there are many variations, the most common inspection they request is called a "Condition Check" which is essentially a drive-by with a few pictures, not even requiring contact with the resident. Fee=$8.50

The next step up is called an "EHP" as in Electrical, Heating & Plumbing inspection which adds additional requirement of making an appointment and entering the house to get additional pictures of the systems.
    Fee=$20.00

Next in line is an exterior only with pictures and a measured footprint sketch of the primary dwelling and any outbuildings. Fee= +$10 over regular fee.

Next Is a "Mid-Value" , typical requiring all of the above plus pictures and comments of all the major rooms.
    Fee= $40.00

Lastly is called a "High-Value" which is essentially a mid-value with considerably more detail such as actually measuring all the rooms and commenting on linear feet of crown molding, base molding, millwork etc. and interviewing the client about age of home, when purchased, when upgrades/replacements were done, value of home, contents, contract employees that have access etc.
    Fee= $90
    I won't leave my home for less than $150. Millinneum's fee structure is an insult. Walk away! Your time is better spent marketing your home inspection business.

But I like pissing into the wind! Just exchanged emails with my "field supervisor" and copied in some quotes from various Inspector boards. Amazingly, he was quite surprised to hear the profession had a poor view on these type of inspections and the pay schedule offered. He needs to get out more!

877-466-8504

Do they hold you professionally liable? If so, it's absolutely wrong to work for them. $8.50 won't cover gasoline. This pay schedule is a dream for them and an insult to their inspectors, especially when you consider education, certification, E&O and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Olsson View Post
    Do they hold you professionally liable? If so, it's absolutely wrong to work for them. $8.50 won't cover gasoline. This pay schedule is a dream for them and an insult to their inspectors, especially when you consider education, certification, E&O and the like.
    No liability, they cover that if needed. I don't do the $8.50 jobs and very few of any others.

877-466-8504

If you accept an assignment, give any opinion, take photos, and receive compensation there are liability risks. Do not be naive you are dealing with insurance companies; they are the ones that don't want any liability!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rose View Post
    I live in a rural area in Southwest Virginia and get calls all the time for these type of inspection.

Like a fool sometimes i think i can make some extra income from them and have negotiated for more money but still it don't seem to pay off my new rule is anything uder $75.00 I walk from even if in my back yard.
    $125 is the minimum to get me out of bed, otherwise the cashflow is going the wrong way -

Marshall Brown Guest

The main reason they pay so little is that there are people who will do it for those fees.

The current minimum wage is $7.25/hour. Gas in my area is about $3.25/gal.

Arithmetic can be your friend despite what many teachers said back in school.

Can you make the minimum wage doing these inspections?

And some people wonder why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Doing work that others will not look at as been very profitable for my company. Those $50, $75, $85, $100 and a few $150 draw inspections have made great parttime fill-in work for me over the past decade.

You need to look at the big picture and the number of jobs one site might provide. To give you an idea, right now I have 5 draws going on at $85, 2 at $100 per visit and with most lasting around 6-12 months on custom residential builds. All are within my normal travel or service area so I just plug them in between my normal inspection work schedule. I normally keep around 6-10 on the books at any given time. This is also not jobber work, I'm dealing directly with the banks.

A typical draw takes me around 5 min on site and 10-15 to fill my paperwork out and email to my client( the bank), as you can see it is a pretty good hourly rate. Yes, sometimes I have a snag in my schedule or I'm not in the area when one needs to be done, but I have found it all works in the long run. You need to keep the big picture in mind.

I make enough doing fill-in part time draws that it pays for my health insurance, my business insurance, my truck payment and much more...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Scott,
    I agree on this "side work". These are not the insurance inspections we're talking about here.
    I do this stuff too. Draw inspections, Mobile home foundation inspections etc. are nice filler jobs and quick and easy money.

877-466-8504

Marshall Brown Guest

Side jobs like you are talking about are considerably better paying than the jobs being discussed. I do foundation data collection for HRES when ever available. Pay is reasonable and usually fairly quick. I also do inspection work for Home Innovation Research Labs, HIRL, formerly NAHB labs, again pay is reasonable and payment usually quick.

I certainly didn't mean to sound as though I was against taking side jobs but I am against being taken advantage of by these type of companies.

I have run into a lot of inspectors who don't seem to have a clue what it actually costs them to perform an inspection nor what they should charge for their time, effort and experience. Running the numbers through Brian's little program is a worthwhile and very instructive endeavor. I wrote a similar program back in the early '80s when I was doing broadcast radio station consulting. It clearly showed me that in the market I was in the work would always be a hobby and never support my family.

IHMO working for less than you are worth is taking money from your family and giving it to a big company. A reverse Robin Hood scenario with no movie rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Brown View Post
    The main reason they pay so little is that there are people who will do it for those fees.

The current minimum wage is $7.25/hour. Gas in my area is about $3.25/gal.

Arithmetic can be your friend despite what many teachers said back in school.

Can you make the minimum wage doing these inspections?

At the risk of insulting those that may do these inspections for less than cost stop complaining or stop doing them. You are the very reason they pay so little. Because there are enough bottom feeders to fill their orders. If everyone would value there business and respect themselves and see themselves as professionals and not work for peanuts the rates would come up. It's simple business principle of supply and demand. Why on earth you would prostitute yourself and do anything for $8.50 is beyond my comprehension. Spend that 2 hours working on your SEO and stay out of the realtors office. There not much better.

Cool Re: Insurance Inspection Fees?

Quote Originally Posted by ren ramsey View Post
    At the risk of insulting those that may do these inspections for less than cost stop complaining or stop doing them. You are the very reason they pay so little. Because there are enough bottom feeders to fill their orders. If everyone would value there business and respect themselves and see themselves as professionals and not work for peanuts the rates would come up. It's simple business principle of supply and demand. Why on earth you would prostitute yourself and do anything for $8.50 is beyond my comprehension. Spend that 2 hours working on your SEO and stay out of the realtors office. There not much better.
    I dare say that I have been doing these inspections for six years. I do feel like a prostitute in a way by getting paid a lot of money for little work.
    As Scott implied it is easy money if the volume is present and you need fill in work.

Mitchell Captain
    Allspec Professional Property Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Captain View Post
    I dare say that I have been doing these inspections for six years. I do feel like a prostitute in a way by getting paid a lot of money for little work.
    As Scott implied it is easy money if the volume is present and you need fill in work.

Mitchell Captain
    Sure We've all done a HRES type for 100.00 but 8.50, 16.50 Come on. Really... that's a professional fee for you?

Frank Adame Guest

Here in Texas we have the Voluntary Inspection Program that is run by the Texas Department of Insurance. I get called by a home owner who is having trouble obtaining home owners insurance because he or a past owner filed an insurance claim on the house. The home owner has been told by his carrier that he has to go through this VIP inspection to make sure repairs were actually made and made in a professional manner. The carrier tells the homeowner to go on the TDI list of inspectors and choose one. The TDI caps our inspection fees at $107.98 for the initial fee and $53.99 for return inspections plus mileage. My usually fee runs at $147.00 and I get to collect from the homeowner who I tell to be there during the inspection. I don't get too many though.

Sure We've all done a HRES type for 100.00 but 8.50, 16.50 Come on. Really... that's a professional fee for you?
    My company does over 25,000 inspections per month. Let just say the I do all right for myself.
    And it started with maybe 500 hundred inspection a month @ $8.50. So if you don't want to call it a professional fee so be it.

Mitchell Captain

My company does over 25,000 inspections per month. Let just say the I do all right for myself.
    And it started with maybe 500 hundred inspection a month @ $8.50. So if you don't want to call it a professional fee so be it.

Mitchell Captain
    Mitchell,

How many inspectors are working with/for you?

How large of an area do you cover now?

How far do you have to drive between inspections?

Or were you making a funny and forgot the smiley face? It always was hard to tell when you were serious, even when I was down there.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Mitchell,

How many inspectors are working with/for you?

How large of an area do you cover now?

How far do you have to drive between inspections?

Or were you making a funny and forgot the smiley face? It always was hard to tell when you were serious, even when I was down there.
    I have 20 + inspectors working for me. I do from Sebring east to the ocean and west to the gulf south to key west. I also do Puerto Rico, Virgin Island US, Guam and 3 states in the upper midwest.

I only do 5 zip codes and average about 400 per week. The closest between inspections is two houses next to each other. The average is less than a mile apart. I travel between 80 to 90 miles a day four days a week.

And I hope you and your family are doing well.

Mitchell Captain

You're thinking like an "inspector"; these are more like surveys, or quick Q & A forms, not much to them and take no time at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    You're thinking like an "inspector"; these are more like surveys, or quick Q & A forms, not much to them and take no time at all.
    I AM an Inspector. They actually require inspection experience. Although they are only "surveys" and take very little time to do, they are spread all over hell and gone and you are lucky to be able to do 20 in a 10 hour day and a 40-50 mile route. That's $170 GROSS! Now subtract your overhead costs. One could make more money as a parking attendant with NO responsibility other than not denting the cars.
    I've quit them by the way.

877-466-8504

I have 20 + inspectors working for me. I do from Sebring east to the ocean and west to the gulf south to key west. I also do Puerto Rico, Virgin Island US, Guam and 3 states in the upper midwest.

I only do 5 zip codes and average about 400 per week. The closest between inspections is two houses next to each other. The average is less than a mile apart. I travel between 80 to 90 miles a day four days a week.

And I hope you and your family are doing well.

Mitchell Captain
    Mitchell - Your numbers astound me. Maybe I'm doing the math wrong, and if I am - please correct me. You said your company does 25,000+ inspections a month ? With that number and your 20 Inspectors, here's what I come up with: (My numbers depict an average amount only)

25,000 Inspections / 20 Inspectors = 1,250 Inspections per Inspector

1,250 Inspections / 30 Days = 41.66 Inspections per Day for each Inspector

41.66 Inspection per Inspector / 8 Hour Day = 5.21 Inspection per Hour per Inspector

If you're in need of an Inspector out here in the Sacramento, CA area, give me a hollar. I'd love to make those big bucks !!!

Wouldn't get in my truck for under $200.00

;

Fee=$20.00

Fee= $40.00

Fee= $90

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

No, some people wonder why people do not use their brains and do the math...it really is that simple. Think people, think.

My appolgies, but I just had to do it...

Loren Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Sanders Sr. View Post
    No, some people wonder why people do not use their brains and do the math...it really is that simple. Think people, think.

My apologies, but I just had to do it...

Loren Sr.

Sometimes you just need to try it on for a while to get a real world idea how it actually works for YOU. There are many variables at play. If you happen to be just sitting around for a day or so and can knock out 10 or 20 "quickies" it's better than zero pay for the day. Keeps me out of the bars! There are scenarios where one can add a few hundred dollars a month to the bottom line.

I've always been an advocate of multiple streams of income so one is not at the mercy of a single source.

That being said, I moved on when I crunched the numbers to get a good feel for it and found that this particular one sucked. Found a better one that seems to be working out for slack times. $25-$30 for 20 minutes work makes good filler work for those days I don't have my own inspection booked. I'm semi-retired and not really interested in filling my schedule so don't put much effort into doing so.

877-466-8504

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

Sometimes you just need to try it on for a while to get a real world idea how it actually works for YOU. There are many variables at play. If you happen to be just sitting around for a day or so and can knock out 10 or 20 "quickies" it's better than zero pay for the day. Keeps me out of the bars! There are scenarios where one can add a few hundred dollars a month to the bottom line.

I've always been an advocate of multiple streams of income so one is not at the mercy of a single source.

That being said, I moved on when I crunched the numbers to get a good feel for it and found that this particular one sucked. Found a better one that seems to be working out for slack times. $25-$30 for 20 minutes work makes good filler work for those days I don't have my own inspection booked. I'm semi-retired and not really interested in filling my schedule so don't put much effort into doing so.
    I totally understand. I am semi-retired too. But like others have said, some folks will take advantage of you if YOU let them. For example: My granddaughter is a pet sitter and dog walker. She charges $20 for a 45 minute walk. It takes her gas and time to get to the client and I am trying to convince her that her rate is too low and when she figures in all of the costs, she is working for less than minimum wage... and she is "in business for herself". Some would say that she is being taken advantage of, but it is her choice. To some, merely being their own boss trumps the wage. Well I say it is not being realistic and she has bills to pay, insurance, phone, gasoline, rent.... the works. She is not married and lives alone so she does not have that big of a nut to crack, but I say that is not a reason to work for so little. The kicker is that she really loves her animals that she takes care of so my advice gose mute. So Dana I am merely pointing out that the bottom line to some is a misnomer... Take care my friend and enjoy your retirement. Loren Sr.

Robert Boyd Guest

Any teenager with a smartphone can use gps and snap photos. You're racing to the bottom. Find more challenging work if you want more money.

- - - Updated - - -

Any teenager with a smartphone can use gps and snap photos. You're racing to the bottom. Find more challenging work if you want more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Boyd View Post

- - - Updated - - -

You might have missed that I'm semi-retired. Not really interested in "finding more challenging work". Been doing that for 55 years. Just keeping busy and doing a few things here and there.
    That being said, I'm not interested in being screwed either. "I was looking for filler work when I found this and I can do so again." This new one is about to go bye bye too. No money for much work.
    I actually deliver newspapers on the weekends too and that's actually fun. I ride around and listen to all the NPR shows I missed during the week and don't have to listen to phones ringing and the wife bitching about something. Very peaceful.

877-466-8504

This industry is for anyone looking for small guaranteed income jobs. If you calculate the hours you sit in front of the computer inputting data and miles driven to and back from residence, you have usually lost. See what allowances the tax department allows per kilometer to write off against eah inspection. I tied it, waste of time and terrible re-numeration.

- - - Updated - - -

This industry is for anyone looking for small guaranteed income jobs. If you calculate the hours you sit in front of the computer inputting data and miles driven to and back from residence, you have usually lost. See what allowances the tax department allows per kilometer to write off against eah inspection. I tied it, waste of time and terrible re-numeration.

- - - Updated - - -

This industry is for anyone looking for small guaranteed income jobs. If you calculate the hours you sit in front of the computer inputting data and miles driven to and back from residence, you have usually lost. See what allowances the tax department allows per kilometer to write off against each inspection. I tried it, waste of time and terrible re-numeration.

Marshall Brown Guest

This is a zombie thread. Every time you think it's dead it comes back.

I wonder what the record is for a forever discussion?

This is a zombie thread. Every time you think it's dead it comes back.

I wonder what the record is for a forever discussion?
    Back from the crypt!

I did those insurance inspections back in the mid-90's. They paid somewhere around $12-$15 ea but some days I could knock out 40 of them. Making a buck or pounding sand all depended on the daily volume and grouping. I'm sad to see that someone with your qualifications is working for such a low rate Dana. If you're crazy enough to move from California to Chicago we could probably put you to work come spring!

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cullen View Post
    Back from the crypt!

I did those insurance inspections back in the mid-90's. They paid somewhere around $12-$15 ea but some days I could knock out 40 of them. Making a buck or pounding sand all depended on the daily volume and grouping. I'm sad to see that someone with your qualifications is working for such a low rate Dana. If you're crazy enough to move from California to Chicago we could probably put you to work come spring!

Ya Dan, I agree...Zombie thread and bad pay. I've long since retired and moved on to other stuff. Health reasons restrict the inspection business so I don't do many anymore. These days I make my money without leaving the house.

I think partially it was an experiment driven by the slow economy. Somewhat interesting but but used and abused was more the norm.

Being a Cali kid forever, It would be tough to consider living somewhere where they actually had weather and seasons!

877-466-8504