Default A Challenge.....

I challenge someone find a worse panel than this thing. I stared at it for a few minutes and just shook my head. 3 spots for load wires (3 phase) but only two wires to the house.... how is this even possible?? Double taps, of course, what is with the connections at the upper left side? I honestly couldn't make sense of most of it.

As a funny aside, the seller came home and bragged about jumping all the neutral and grounds together at the outlets !!! (I had already found it).

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: A Challenge.....

Someone was probably being thrifty and reused a commercial panel.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Somebody should be charged with criminal negligence.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

That is right up there with some of the worst that I have run into. Not the first 3-phase panel I have seen in a residence, but mine wasn't nearly that bad.
    Matt would you mind if I use these photos in some presentations? I will be happy to credit you for the pics.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alton Darty View Post
    That is right up there with some of the worst that I have run into. Not the first 3-phase panel I have seen in a residence, but mine wasn't nearly that bad.
    Matt would you mind if I use these photos in some presentations? I will be happy to credit you for the pics.
    No problem.... feel free to use them as you like.

Mbrooke Guest

LOL!

Typical crap work.

That panel has industrial control technician flavor to it, looks like its being reused from agutted building.

Was the seller that did this? whats his occupation?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alton Darty View Post
    For reasons I can explain it seems like a fad in some places. Could be from left over 3 phase hi leg services or people buying panels off of E bay

Quote Originally Posted by Mbrooke View Post
    LOL!

Typical crap work.

For reasons I can explain it seems like a fad in some places. Could be from left over 3 phase hi leg services or people buying panels off of E bay

First time I ever heard of "3 phase hi leg", which is 120/240V 3 phase, but that panel would be used for 208Y/120V.

The panel was prob. a freebee, & we all know how some like to think they are saving money.

Mbrooke Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    First time I ever heard of "3 phase hi leg", which is 120/240V 3 phase, but that panel would be used for 208Y/120V.

The panel was prob. a freebee, & we all know how some like to think they are saving money.
    A 3phase panel would be used as a high leg if it was rated as such. Also every 3rd space would be empty on the "B" phase since it gives 208 to ground.

Rare in residential but they do exist in some states.

I have to agree with you, everything looks like a free be. Good thing it was caught, certainly not a professional install.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbrooke View Post
    A 3phase panel would be used as a high leg if it was rated as such. Also every 3rd space would be empty on the "B" phase since it gives 208 to ground.

Rare in residential but they do exist in some states.

I have to agree with you, everything looks like a free be. Good thing it was caught, certainly not a professional install.

I should rephrase it as never heard it called "3 phase high leg" . 120/240V 3Ø delta was used for residential A/C in Arizona, they used the no longer allowed "delta breaker" since the A/C unit was the only 3Ø load, & PG&E loves 120/240V delta here for AG services.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Somebody should be charged with criminal negligence.
    It's unfortunate, but I think this quite often on jobs. And I am not shy about telling my customers either. Even if it was their B-I-L that did the work.
    The amount of shoddy, even dangerous, DIY work out there is staggering..