Default Rheem furnace question

This is a Rheem RGDD-06NC. I'm not familiar with this unit and was wondering if its typical to have the flame operate in this manner. Also, there was scorching / soot/ discoloration on the cabinets interior.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Rheem furnace question

No, it needs service. You may have removed it for the photo but it appears that it is missing a flame shield. See the notch on your first photo in the sheet metal bracket?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    No, it needs service. You may have removed it for the photo but it appears that it is missing a flame shield. See the notch on your first photo in the sheet metal bracket?
    Thank you Sir, much appreciated.

The flame is not combusting properly. Besides being lazy (poor draft ?), it is yellow. Soot/burns on the cabinet are not good signs and are another indication of improper combustion.

Quite often when photographing an efficiently burning boiler flame, they appear invisible in the photos (Just like the bottom of the flame in your photo).

I you have a CO detector, now may be an interesting time to pull it out.

Last edited by Steven Turetsky; 02-13-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

I'd agree with Steven, Yellow flames = CO, and the soot confirms incomplete burning of the gas.

Talking Re: Rheem furnace question

If I am seeing what I think I am seeing, either the gas valve is bad, or the meter, or something else is affecting the gas pressure. Refer to licensed HVAC contractor.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

I think that's an older furnace with a standing pilot light bar. If it is, the pilot light is burning yellow but the blue flames in the back don't look too bad. That doesn't mean it isn't in need of service and repair. Just a thought.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA