Default Wood embedded in concrete foundation

New construction, poured concrete foundation, they embedded ?X4 wood nailers in the concrete so they could start the vinyl siding down over the concrete. All well and good but I said this provides easy access for termites or ants.

I believe the wood is pressure treated so it is allowed. What we don't know is this - did they treat the cut ends of every piece?

I said they should dig the wood out of there. I guess this did not go well with the builder. What say y'all?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Default Re: Wood embedded in concrete foundation

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I believe the wood is pressure treated so it is allowed. What we don't know is this - did they treat the cut ends of every piece?
    And, if pressure treated, is it pressure treated for ground contact? There are different levels of pressure treatment for different purposes.

I said they should dig the wood out of there. I guess this did not go well with the builder. What say y'all?
    That or have them provide documentation that: a) the wood is pressure treated; b) the ends down into the ground are factory cut ends (would not require re-treatment); c) the size is as factory cut and they did not rip the boards down to fit the width they wanted (would require field treatment along the sides/edges if ripped down); d) anyone think of anything else?

The documentation would be from the pressure treating factory/manufacturer/processor (not sure which term is best).

How far down into the ground do those concrete panels go? Cutting off and digging the wood out might be a problem if the panels go into the ground a ways.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Or they may just treat the area for termites (pre treatment) and call it a day. They will almost always go for the fastest and easiest way - not always the BEST way.

Doesn't look like any pressure treated wood I have seen. No dimples and no greenish colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Or they may just treat the area for termites (pre treatment) and call it a day. They will almost always go for the fastest and easiest way - not always the BEST way.
    That they may, however, unless they can document that the wood is either pressure treated or is a naturally durable wood species - the wood is not allowed to be in the ground or even close to the ground. Which means that treating for termites would not be an acceptable solution.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Doesn't look like any pressure treated wood I have seen. No dimples and no greenish colour.
    Raymond, I think it is the deck grade stuff that is brown with no machine marks. But at the time I wasn't sure if it was treated, just giving them the benefit of doubt.

They can cut the visible sections out. Drill and chisel. Good job for the new guy for an afternoon. I will drive by some day and see what they got away with.

www.allsafehome.ca

Looks like builder-blunder to me. The siding is complete and in place, but the embedded wood members extend down farther than the bottom course of siding w/ its J-channel. No need for the wood to extend into the ground.

Another concern is the lack of expansion joint filler or bond breaker between the concrete stemwalls and exposed-aggregate concrete slabs. That's an invitation for slab-edge spalling to take place when the slabs move with frost heave, while the stemwalls remain stationary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That they may, however, unless they can document that the wood is either pressure treated or is a naturally durable wood species - the wood is not allowed to be in the ground or even close to the ground. Which means that treating for termites would not be an acceptable solution.
    You and I know that. I was just making a comment on what will probably go down. The AHJ will have the final word on what they need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    You and I know that. I was just making a comment on what will probably go down.
    Yes, unfortunately what you described is the most which will likely happen, possibly even nothing will be done.

And we shouldn't count on the AHJ to address it, we all know they miss things too.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
    Another concern is the lack of expansion joint filler or bond breaker between the concrete stemwalls and exposed-aggregate concrete slabs. That's an invitation for slab-edge spalling to take place when the slabs move with frost heave, while the stemwalls remain stationary.
    Slabs don't heave here. Sometimes the ground turns to mud and they sink. We get frost on the grass here but that's about it. Sorry about that. I know you guys on the Eastern seabord are getting hit again this week.

www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    . We get frost on the grass here but that's about it.
    Poor Baby.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.