Default MCS Consultation Update - Licencing Ontario

The Experts Speak Video Gallery

Update - Issued today Feb 18/14

Consultation Update

On December 11, 2013, the 16-member volunteer panel of home inspectors, consumers, representatives from real estate, law, education and insurance industries, submitted their final report titled, A Closer Look: Qualifying Ontario’s Home Inspectors, to the Minister of Consumer Services.

The report makes 35 recommendations to strengthen the home inspector profession and increase protection for consumers who purchase home inspection services.

The ministry posted the panel’s report on the Regulatory Registry for public review and comment for 45 days. Approximately 140 public responses were received.

No decision has been made at this time regarding licensing or qualifications. The ministry is currently reviewing the panel’s recommendations and the public’s feedback on the panel’s report. The ministry anticipates more information on next steps later this Spring.
    The ministry appreciates the time and effort many people have given throughout this public engagement process. Please let us know if you have further advice or wish to be included on future updates be sending an email to homeinspectors@ontario.ca.

New Video
    The ministry has produced a consumer video on the importance of hiring a home inspector and what to expect from a home inspection. It’s the newest addition in a series of consumer protection videos called The Experts Speak. We encourage you to share this video to help inform more people about home inspectors. This video may be viewed at The Experts Speak

The Experts Speak Video Gallery

Sincerely,

David Brezer
    Director, Consumer Policy and Liaison Branch
    Ministry of Consumer Services

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: MCS Consultation Update - Licencing Ontario

http://www.ontla.on.ca/house-proceed...-2014_L105.pdf

Member of Provincial Parliment - Etobicoke North
    Dear Mr. Shafiq Qaadri,

I read with interest your query to the Minister of Consumer Services regarding the possibility of licencing home inspectors from the Official Report of Debates (Hansard) No. 105 Second Session, 40th Parliament.

Its unfortunate you do not speak from a position of facts. The facts are; homeinspectors enjoy one of the lowest complaint rates compared to other industriesgiven the number of home sale transactions conducted yearly in Ontario.

The MCS in its findings via the assembled panel released information suggestingwithout proof of any kind that there where approximately 380 law suits againsthome inspectors last year. However as an avid reader of case law related tohome inspectons this figure seems very high. When I sought further informationas to where these numbers where taken from or how they have been used(meritless complaints vs. valid complaints, minor vs. major) or whether theywere provided by a third party (i.e. insurers, courts, independent research) or are over a one year period, two years, three years, et cetera. Either way no one seems willing to validate the number quoted. It is odd if this is the case that MCS are using skewed numbers to support its justification for licencing.

As you may know roofers, paving companies, renovation companies and others have a high complaint rate, why are these industries not be targeted by the Minister and MCS?

In addition, stats compiled by the Better Business Stats about home inspectorcomplaints also shows very low numbers of complaints compared to other non-licencedtrades.

Since this number is being used to justify a possible licencing bill I am asking you if you can verify these numbers and their source, since no one else including the Minister and the staff at MCS are unwilling to do so.

It's regrettable that the Liberals, yourself included have gone Pollyanna - thesky is falling - in this approach.

The MCS and you need to be forth coming with further info so that there is noappearance of embellishments in order to promote something, which upon furtherinvestigation does not warrant licencing.

I am sure you can appreciate my concerns.

Thank you.

Yours very truly
    Raymond Wand

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    http://www.ontla.on.ca/house-proceed...-2014_L105.pdf

Member of Provincial Parliment - Etobicoke North
    Dear Mr. Shafiq Qaadri,

I read with interest your query to the Minister of Consumer Services regarding the possibility of licencing home inspectors from the Official Report of Debates (Hansard) No. 105 Second Session, 40th Parliament.

Its unfortunate you do not speak from a position of facts. The facts are; homeinspectors enjoy one of the lowest complaint rates compared to other industriesgiven the number of home sale transactions conducted yearly in Ontario.

The MCS in its findings via the assembled panel released information suggestingwithout proof of any kind that there where approximately 380 law suits againsthome inspectors last year. However as an avid reader of case law related tohome inspectons this figure seems very high. When I sought further informationas to where these numbers where taken from or how they have been used(meritless complaints vs. valid complaints, minor vs. major) or whether theywere provided by a third party (i.e. insurers, courts, independent research) or are over a one year period, two years, three years, et cetera. Either way no one seems willing to validate the number quoted. It is odd if this is the case that MCS are using skewed numbers to support its justification for licencing.

As you may know roofers, paving companies, renovation companies and others have a high complaint rate, why are these industries not be targeted by the Minister and MCS?

In addition, stats compiled by the Better Business Stats about home inspectorcomplaints also shows very low numbers of complaints compared to other non-licencedtrades.

Since this number is being used to justify a possible licencing bill I am asking you if you can verify these numbers and their source, since no one else including the Minister and the staff at MCS are unwilling to do so.

It's regrettable that the Liberals, yourself included have gone Pollyanna - the sky is falling - in this approach.

The MCS and you need to be forth coming with further info so that there is no appearance of embellishments in order to promote something, which upon further investigation does not warrant licencing.

I am sure you can appreciate my concerns.

Thank you.

Yours very truly
    Raymond Wand
    Good work Ray!
    Kudos

At this time it safe to say that any movement on licencing home inspectors is dead, until such time as a new party is elected in Ontario.

We will have to see if a new government and a new MCS minister is interested in moving this licencing matter forward. At this time its the best news I have heard in a long time.

The Liberals and the deficit have ballooned by billions of dollars, and numerous scandals are being investigated by the police a new government may not have the financial resources or interest in spending even more money on licencing of which we know is not needed, given the low volume of complaints as compared to other trades with far more complaints.

Key Liberal legislation dies with rejection of Ontario budget | Toronto Star