Although I'm a graduated Home Inspector from Molloy College, Rockville Centre, NY, my thing is -and has been for 15 years- commercial and residential inspections for loss control. I'm hooked up with a couple of well established inspecting companies that send me a steady stream of work within Long Island, Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Bronx, and I just go out and do it for a flat rate that varies depending on the size and complexity of the risk but never less than $50. Usual type of work includes property inspections, general liability, OCP's, Job site, and occasionally a recovery agency.

The good thing about being an independent contractor, among others, is that you get to pick and choose what you want to do. There are some of their clients I simply refuse to do inspections for, because their reports are too complicated and the pay is not commensurate with the effort. So I told them "don't send me work for so and so", and they just send it to someone else. Our business relationship is healthy; communication is very good and I get paid by direct deposit ever other week without failure.