Default How to Indentify Neutral Conductors? Survey Says?

Code allows conductors larger than 6 AWG (2008 NEC applies) to be marked at the point of termination to indentify it.

But, what is not covered, when using tape, is how much tape is needed, at least I have not found anything yet. The practice around here is wrapping 6 inches of white tape along the conductor (not 6 inches thick, for you jokers) from the point of termination, or using 3 separate wraps of white tape (stripes) a few inches apart, starting at the termination, to identify the neutral. The same thing is done with grounds, only with green tape.

I'm just curious what people see in their areas, or if there is a hidden requirement in the 2008 NEC?

Crawl Space Creeper

Mbrooke Guest

Default Re: How to Indentify Neutral Conductors? Survey Says?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kleisch View Post
    Code allows conductors larger than 6 AWG (2008 NEC applies) to be marked at the point of termination to indentify it.

But, what is not covered, when using tape, is how much tape is needed, at least I have not found anything yet. The practice around here is wrapping 6 inches of white tape along the conductor (not 6 inches thick, for you jokers) from the point of termination, or using 3 separate wraps of white tape (stripes) a few inches apart, starting at the termination, to identify the neutral. The same thing is done with grounds, only with green tape.

I'm just curious what people see in their areas, or if there is a hidden requirement in the 2008 NEC?

If the conductor is part of a cable assembly such as say NM or AC cable the white is allowed to be remarked as a phase is being used as a hot regardless of gauge.

Ill see if I can dig up some code articles in terms of re identifying conductors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kleisch View Post

This may be what you are looking for: (bold and underlining are mine)
    200.6 Means of Identifying Grounded Conductors.
    - (A) Sizes 6 AWG or Smaller. An insulated grounded conductor of 6 AWG or smaller shall be identified by a continuous white or gray outer finish or by three continuous white stripes on other than green insulation along its entire length. Wires that have their outer covering finished to show a white or gray color but have colored tracer threads in the braid identifying the source of manufacture shall be considered as meeting the provisions of this section. Insulated grounded conductors shall also be permitted to be identified as follows:
    - - (1) The grounded conductor of a mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable shall be identified at the time of installation by distinctive marking at its terminations.
    - - (2) A single-conductor, sunlight-resistant, outdoor-rated cable used as a grounded conductor in photovoltaic power systems as permitted by 690.31 shall be identified at the time of installation by distinctive white marking at all terminations.
    - - (3) Fixture wire shall comply with the requirements for grounded conductor identification as specified in 402.8.
    - - (4) For aerial cable, the identification shall be as above, or by means of a ridge located on the exterior of the cable so as to identify it.
    - (B) Sizes Larger Than 6 AWG. An insulated grounded conductor larger than 6 AWG shall be identified by one of the following means:
    - - (1) By a continuous white or gray outer finish.
    - - (2) By three continuous white stripes along its entire length on other than green insulation.
    - - (3) At the time of installation, by a distinctive white or gray marking at its terminations. This marking shall encircle the conductor or insulation.

Okay, the white marking (tape) shall encircle the conductor ... now what - how wide, how many times shall it encircle the conductor, how many encircling bands, etc.?

That part gets back to what the AHJ "approves". Taping 6 inches of the conductor would be great, running the tape spiral up and around the conductor is not approved as it is not encircling the conductor, it is spiraling up around the conductor (there is a difference). Needs sufficient number of wraps to resist unwrapping over time by itself. At least an inch or two of white is okay. Those are some of the things I have seen and go by.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

There is no required amount of taping in the NEC, just what Jerry posted. In my experience either the spiral or other wrap is accepted. Some like a continuous wrap others a loose spiral with insulation showing between the spiral, some multiple bands.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.