Default Plastic vapor barrier installled over floor joists in crawlspace

I inspected a home a while back and called out plastic vapor barrier that was installed over floor joists, floors were insulated, no vapor barrier on ground. Sellers told clients that is was code at time the home was built, I also heard that the builder argued with city building inspector about installing the vapor barrier over floor structure. I disagree and do not believe that this should have ever been allowed. The vapor barrier in not installed toward heated space and can cause moisture to accumulate in floor structure.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Plastic vapor barrier installled over floor joists in crawlspace

You are right.

Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/

Its the way they do mobile homes all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Its the way they do mobile homes all the time.
    As you know a mobile home is built quite differently that a stick build home, especially the floor structure. As far as I know the underbelly covering on a mobile home can breath a little, not like standard plastic sheeting, also it's not attached directly to floor joists.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    As you know a mobile home is built quite differently that a stick build home, especially the floor structure. As far as I know the underbelly covering on a mobile home can breath a little, not like standard plastic sheeting, also it's not attached directly to floor joists.
    Trent, I agree with you in principle, but ...... have you ever crawled under a mobile home that had a plumbing leak? That big black bag, anchored by the steel frame, can hold a ton of water. If you need pics, I got 'em in the archives.

Also I agree, poly under the floor insulation is wrong, wrong, wrong, but I have seen it done with no ill effect , no sign of moisture trapped in there. That is what I have told my clients, it is wrong because it could trap moisture. However there is no sign of any moisture, so just lucky it's all dry in there.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Trent, I agree with you in principle, but ...... have you ever crawled under a mobile home that had a plumbing leak? That big black bag, anchored by the steel frame, can hold a ton of water. If you need pics, I got 'em in the archives.

Also I agree, poly under the floor insulation is wrong, wrong, wrong, but I have seen it done with no ill effect , no sign of moisture trapped in there. That is what I have told my clients, it is wrong because it could trap moisture. However there is no sign of any moisture, so just lucky it's all dry in there.
    A word of caution! Never, I repeat Never poke your finger in the bulging belly wrap of a manufactured home!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    A word of caution! Never, I repeat Never poke your finger in the bulging belly wrap of a manufactured home!
    That's like saying don't pop the bubbles on bubble wrap, you just can't resist it.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Yea I've seen plenty water balloons below mobile homes in my time.

Plastic Sheeting does not meet the required flame spread to be placed in that location. That alone should be of concern, just as with Kraft faced batts. It is a fire hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Morrison View Post
    Plastic Sheeting does not meet the required flame spread to be placed in that location. That alone should be of concern, just as with Kraft faced batts. It is a fire hazard.
    That's a good one to remember, thanks, Larry.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    That's like being in an old army tent in a rain storm and touch the canvass......