Default Gusset plate placement.

I would appreciate some comments and guidance on the placement of the gusset plate on this truss. It's set so high that it's only catching maybe 3/4 to 1 inch of the lower members at best. I'm concerned that this may not be enough to ensure structural integrity in these trusses. The insulation was deep enough, and the roof pitch low enough, that I couldn't traveling the length of the attic like I usually try to do, but looking from the hatch, it appeared that maybe 50% of the trusses had this gusset plate placement. The other 50% looked fine.

Thanks a lot for your help with this.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Gusset plate placement.

It appears that it could have been placed better than it is, however I don't see the need to report it.
    Nailer plates are hydraulically pressed into the connections at the plant.

The photo does not indicate any concerns.

http://www.cof.orst.edu/cof/wse/facu...e%20Review.pdf

Agree with Raymond, not likely an issue. The trusses all act together once assembled and sheathed.

The framing looks at least 30 years old and hasn't showed any negative effects yet.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chambers View Post
    I would appreciate some comments and guidance on the placement of the gusset plate on this truss. It's set so high that it's only catching maybe 3/4 to 1 inch of the lower members at best. I'm concerned that this may not be enough to ensure structural integrity in these trusses. The insulation was deep enough, and the roof pitch low enough, that I couldn't traveling the length of the attic like I usually try to do, but looking from the hatch, it appeared that maybe 50% of the trusses had this gusset plate placement. The other 50% looked fine.

Thanks a lot for your help with this.
    You are correct. The plates were poorly placed, which is poor quality control at the plant. I would note it and tell the client that there is some potential for concern. If it has been that way for a long time it probably will not concern most buyers, but better to have pointed it out than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    You are correct. The plates were poorly placed, which is poor quality control at the plant. I would note it and tell the client that there is some potential for concern. If it has been that way for a long time it probably will not concern most buyers, but better to have pointed it out than not.
    Well that's a good point. Thanks everyone, for your help with this one.

Ermanno D'Angelo Guest

What about plate on other side, if it's placed better I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermanno D'Angelo View Post
    What about plate on other side, if it's placed better I wouldn't worry about it.
    Good point, but the plates on both sides were identically placed.