Default Radon Measurement Certification

Does anyone have any experience with distance training for radon measurement? I've found courses from Certi and PHII online. My state (MT) doesn't require certification, and I've been radon testing for years, but I though it would be good idea to get the certification. None of the classroom classes are anywhere nearby, so I thought an online or distance class would be best. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

OREP Insurance
    John Thompson
    Shelter Works Home Inspections, LLC
    Missoula, MT

Default Re: Radon Measurement Certification

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with distance training for radon measurement? I've found courses from Certi and PHII online. My state (MT) doesn't require certification, and I've been radon testing for years, but I though it would be good idea to get the certification. None of the classroom classes are anywhere nearby, so I thought an online or distance class would be best. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Get the training and take the test if you are going to do testing. Heck even get the certification, but......

As for the certification, I stopped renewing my certification a year or so back and it has not impacted me at all.... They require CE which is fine, but you can not repeat courses, the courses are expensive, the course for the most are really boring, the basic science does not change, and my state does not require any certification. It became such a hassle trying to find courses that I had not taken (you can not repeat them) I just tossed in the towel and did not renew. Ever since that time, I have had a steady increase in radon test! Last year I did 51 radon test and that was up by 17 test from the prior year.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Get the training and take the test if you are going to do testing. Heck even get the certification, but......

As for the certification, I stopped renewing my certification a year or so back and it has not impacted me at all.... They require CE which is fine, but you can not repeat courses, the courses are expensive, the course for the most are really boring, the basic science does not change, and my state does not require any certification. It became such a hassle trying to find courses that I had not taken (you can not repeat them) I just tossed in the towel and did not renew. Ever since that time, I have had a steady increase in radon test! Last year I did 51 radon test and that was up by 17 test from the prior year.
    I have to agree with Radon CE courses. Especially those from CERTI. Now... if you are a jet-setter, work for the government or a large university and can go to the various symposiums and conferences all over the world, you can get CE credit for attending. I think there is a new course on Radon and New home construction. Now that's good because, I really don't care about Radon in tropical locations. There is a meeting here, in Fredericksburg, in April that I plan to attend for the CE credits for two courses.

However, from the latest panic letters from Radon Leaders, it seems the EPA is getting out of the Radon business altogether including cutting funding to states to maintain a Radon program. So, all this may become a moot subject.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

None of the classroom classes are anywhere nearby, so I thought an online or distance class would be best. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Online? This is the only online NRPP, AARST and IAC2-approved radon course.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI