Default It may not be a "fire separation"...

A home fire in a nearby community underscores, I believe, the usefulness of a separation wall between the house and garage, even if it is not "technically" a fire separation wall. Don't know how old the house was.

I wonder if the structure could have been saved had the homeowner not opened the door.

A Fire Alarm On Four Paws | Santa Rosa Press Democrat // News for California's North Bay and Redwood Empire

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: It may not be a "fire separation"...

I'm putting those folks in for a Darwin Award. Highly flammable liquids stored in the garage, (varnish is a self-igniter) along with combustible stuff probably sitting next to the gas-fired water heater? Then dad opens the garage fire door to take a look, and daughter goes back 3 times to rescue pets. The cat was last seen hitchhiking to Santa Rosa and the lab is advertising in the local papers for a new owner. My oldest son lives in Healdsburg, which is fast being Carmelized. Those in CA will know what I mean.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Jerry Mc,

I did not want to criticize the homeowner, but I tend to agree. While probably not a good idea, many of us store combustible and flammable liquids in our garages. Certainly opening the garage door was not the best idea.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Highly flammable liquids stored in the garage, (varnish is a self-igniter)
    I, like many others, do not have 'detached wood sheds' in which to store those types of products, including mineral spirits, stain, varnish, paint (mostly latex), spray paint cans, pesticides, etc., no gasoline is stored in our garage simply because we have no gasoline fueled equipment (other than the two vehicles in the garage which have their own gasoline storage tanks).

However, unlike many others, our water heater in the garage is gas, and is elevated on an 18" high stand.

Opening the door to take a looksee ... I agree, a Darwin award candidate for sure.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com