Default Am I crazy or is there no exhaust hooked up for this furnace

Am I on drugs or just stupid or is this brand new furnace pumping exhaust back into the basement?It's a brand new never been run RUDD single stage condensing furnace. The pipe in the top left came off the draft inducer and was blowing air when I tried to turn the unit on. It would not light due to the meter being pinned. The pipe on the right in the last photo appears to be make up air. It came from a PVC pipe run about 30' to the exterior and terminating in a T fiting like you would see for the exhaust.

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Am I crazy or is there no exhaust hooked up for this furnace

You are not crazy.

Did you happen to notice any dead people lying around the house?
    I'm just asking.

Oh, right. It had never been run...

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

What?

You want a new furnace AND it be exhausted to the outdoors?

What you, some kind of nut or something? You know it takes a lot more work to knock a hole through the wall and then have to seal it back up, just lookee at that hole that was already patched.

Is the other PVC going outdoors or where does it go? Maybe they got the two mixed up?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    What?

What you, some kind of nut or something? You know it takes a lot more work to knock a hole through the wall and then have to seal it back up, just lookee at that hole that was already patched.

Is the other PVC going outdoors or where does it go? Maybe they got the two mixed up?
    I had the same thought. Seems like a long pipe for the combustion air if you are not going to bother with the exhaust pipe.

It may be possible that the installation was not completed (like we need to come back when we have a drill to go through the wall-if we remember, and if we did not get paid in full).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    What?

Well duh they got the two mixed up, but no they were DONE. The make-up air looked like an exhaust complete with T fitting.

- - - Updated - - -

Fortunately the meter was pinned. This house also had an uncapped gas line. If the gas company had unpinned the meter and turned it on it could have been bad?

Seeing this issue with the furnace and an uncapped gas line I also found, do we not have a duty to contact the local jurisdiction about issues like this before someone gets killed.

Went by the city inspectors office to see if this furnace had been permitted. There were a few other things missing with the new installation. What do you know. It had been inspected AND finaled out. The house is a foreclosure and bank owned. The HVAC company is someone from out of town I never heard of. Great job property preservation guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ren ramsey View Post
    Went by the city inspectors office to see if this furnace had been permitted. There were a few other things missing with the new installation. What do you know. It had been inspected AND finaled out.
    Did you talk with the Chief Mechanical Inspector? Show him the photo? He could use that as a training aid ... as in "This is how we *DO NOT* inspect replacement systems."

Some inspector probably had a "driveway moment" ... ... and never actually made it into the house, but did find the permit card posted outside and said ... ... It's lunch time!.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Abram View Post
    Good thing you contacted the local jurisdiction to verify that it had been approved.
    .Why?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by ren ramsey View Post
    Went by the city inspectors office to see if this furnace had been permitted. There were a few other things missing with the new installation. What do you know. It had been inspected AND finaled out. The house is a foreclosure and bank owned. The HVAC company is someone from out of town I never heard of. Great job property preservation guys.
    Good lord. Someone should have some consequences for approving that.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA