Default Correct PVC fittings?

This is probably my weakest area. This is the piping from a lift pump (sewage ejector in basement). The 1/4 bends are all tight radius. I know for gravity drainage, the more gradual bends are used, and the tight radius bends are used for the venting lines.

Does this change on a lift pump, since it is a pressurized system? Logic would tell me that it would still be better for a more gradual bend for less resistance.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Default Re: Correct PVC fittings?

The fittings pictured are not DWV fittings, they are pool fittings. A proper DWV fitting would have a pronounced hub on each end.

90DegreeElbow.jpg

Agree, the fittings in the photo are for pressure, not drainage.

This is a pump system, and those pipes are under pressure.

I am used to seeing the DWV type fittings, but the pump doesn't care. When it comes on, it will push the poop uphill through any pipe elbow, IMO.

Last edited by John Kogel; 03-04-2014 at 06:17 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Less resistance needed for gravity flow, pressurized flow not a problem- no issues here. Would long sweeps be better, yes, necessary no.

Marshall Brown Guest

Just a personal thought, I'd love to see that gaping hole in the ICU around the exit sealed to help reduce chances of critters, etc. coming in to visit.

Is it a grinder pump? Our code calls for a 1/2" solid ball passing through the line if a grinder pump, and a 2" solid ball if a non-grinder pump.

The other advantage of the long sweeps is for ease of cleanout if the pipe ever plugs, not sure how fun it would be to auger past those elbows.