Default Return Vent over Tubs?

This is the 4th. one I've seen in the last week of where someone or persons are placing return filters grilles and filters on the panels of these overhead heating and cooling equipment over the tubs. (Exactly what is those types of units called anyway?)

You can see in the picture below that there is a return on the wall in the hallway, so why the additional one?

Has anyone been seeing this also? Must be a Bubba doing these flippers I'm seeing.

Rick

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Return Vent over Tubs?

Returns in bathrooms are a No No.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Filter grill is what I call them.
    Looks like some one replaced the ceiling mounted a/c unit with one in the attic. I guess they were really proud of all the extra work they did to cut that hole in that metal access panel instead of cutting a new hole out in the hall. I'll bet the AHJ did not have a chance to red tag it since there was never a permit pulled.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jim,

This was over there in Garland. Many of the homes in this particular area have those ceiling mounted air handlers over the tubs like you'll see in a condo or an apartment complexes.

Weird thing is that I've seen 4 of these done like this in the past week.

Scott,
    Can you just imagine the "naturally odour" found through out the house?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    these overhead heating and cooling equipment over the tubs. (Exactly what is those types of units called anyway?)
    In-ceiling plenum units is what I always called them.

That entire space above the ceiling is a plenum (at least for all the ones I've seen). Must have been in a condo, right.

Probably First Company, right? Junk.

[quote]You can see in the picture below that there is a return on the wall in the hallway, so why the additional one?[/quote

Because those are *cheap* compared to real access doors, and, because that return is probably needed for proper return air flow.

Of course, though, *not in a bathroom* and *do not put the access over a tub* ... where are you going to *safely* put the ladder?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com