Default Plumbing Vent pipe material - Asbestos??

Inspected home built in 1958. Drain piper are cast iron however the vent pipes are of some fibrous material. Thinking asbestos cement piping however the color (brown) seems wrong. Weathered at the roof surface however excellent condition in attic -- see photos. Any Ideas as to what this material is?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Plumbing Vent pipe material - Asbestos??

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Abram View Post
    Looks like Orangeberg pipe . This is asphalt or pitch combination with wood fibers.
    Agree, looks like Orangeburg pipe.

Looks like Orangeberg pipe . This is asphalt or pitch combination with wood fibers.
    I agree. The real problem is that is most likely used as sewer line beneath the soil, which is were it collapses and gets holes punched in it by tree roots. Most of the stuff I have seen, or had to deal with, had cast iron in the crawlspace and changed to Orangeburg at the foundation wall. Recommend having the line inspected with a camera.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Thank you, I've learned something today

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I've learned something today

I agree it does look like Orangeburg pipe, the problem is that to my knowledge it was not approved for use "in" buildings, only under buildings (as shame, but, yes, under buildings) and underground.

The 2003 IRC still listed that type of pipe as suitable for underground use - it was dropped and not listed in the 2006 IRC.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Horn View Post
    Inspected home built in 1958. Drain piper are cast iron however the vent pipes are of some fibrous material. Thinking asbestos cement piping however the color (brown) seems wrong. Weathered at the roof surface however excellent condition in attic -- see photos. Any Ideas as to what this material is?
    I believe Orangeburg did contain asbestos at one time, but it is not something I would be too worried about.

Don...I noticed that your pictures have the address on them. This might be considered to be a privacy violation. Especially when posted on the internet.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

Default Asbestose vents were used during the 50s and 60s in Californiai

Back in the 50's we installed 3" and 4" Vent stacks into Cast Iron waste and drain piping. It was leaded in with oakum. We used to saw it with a carpenters hand saw and it produced a fine dust. I have had my lungs checked for asbestos every 5 years and they have found minimal scaring in my lungs. I am lucky.... so far.

tom daley Guest

Way back in another country, i installed similar pipe. We called it "Pitch Fibre" and it was used underground (or horizontally clipped above ground) in factories etc for soil and waste (esp. chemicals for some reason). The joints were made with a heated shrink wrap band.

There was no mention of asbestos.