Brandon Adams Guest

Default Blocked service panel

I inspected a home the other day that had the service panel blocked by a nice metal storage shelf on wheels. I let the realtor know that i could not inspect the panel due to it being blocked and he kindly moved it for me so i could inspect. My question is, i know that panels should not be blocked but I did not report this because it is safe to assume that the shelf would be moved when the seller moved out. Am i right or wrong on this?

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Blocked service panel

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Adams View Post
    I inspected a home the other day that had the service panel blocked by a nice metal storage shelf on wheels. I let the realtor know that i could not inspect the panel due to it being blocked and he kindly moved it for me so i could inspect. My question is, i know that panels should not be blocked but I did not report this because it is safe to assume that the shelf would be moved when the seller moved out. Am i right or wrong on this?
    You're probably right that the shelf will be moved, but it can't hurt to mention in your report that that the panel should not be blocked like that.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

If its blocked by something that I am sure the seller is going to take with them, I let it go. If my client is with me, I will mention it to them, but don't bother to put it in the report.

I always reported that it was blocked by (describe what is blocking it) and that (whatever is blocking it) should be moved to not block the panel.

If the seller moves it and takes it with them, great, and if the seller has not moved it and has not taken it with them - I have it covered, and if the seller has not moved it - yet - and there is a problem and the seller cannot get to it - well, I covered that as well.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

IMO, it is 'blocked' by a fridge full of food and beer, but not blocked by an empty fridge, because we can move that. I would help a guy move a fridge full of food and beer but it would be on him, his idea to move it.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    IMO, it is 'blocked' by a fridge full of food and beer, but not blocked by an empty fridge, because we can move that. I would help a guy move a fridge full of food and beer but it would be on him, his idea to move it.
    John,

So, if he let you help him empty the food and beer ... you'd help him move the empty fridge after your nap and the buzz went away?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brandon Adams Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I always reported that it was blocked by (describe what is blocking it) and that (whatever is blocking it) should be moved to not block the panel.

If the seller moves it and takes it with them, great, and if the seller has not moved it and has not taken it with them - I have it covered, and if the seller has not moved it - yet - and there is a problem and the seller cannot get to it - well, I covered that as well.

Thats a good point Jerry, I wasn't thinking about covering myself for the seller, only the buyer.

Yup the quote button is working just fine...

Whomever calls to book the inspection tell the person you need clear access to the furnace, electrical panel, attic hatch, water heater et ceteras. Doing so can help avert such instances and save time.

Last edited by Raymond Wand; 03-08-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Do so can help ...
    The key words are right there "can help" ... ... but will not always prevent that from happening.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yup and the quote button works too! ;(

Ray,

Why do you keep referring to the quote feature?

Dom.

Dom

I feel the quote feature is abused. People can't seem to have a conversation without relying on it - re-quoting entire posts from above including the pictures which can be quite lengthy. Even simple sentences are getting re-quoted. My opinion is its a bad habit and no one says anything about it.

I feel its just bad forum etiquette and some can't seem to hold a thought or conversation. Some will disagree others may not, I enjoy reading replies but I don't need to read repetitive quotes.

Maybe the forum requires a block function so I don't have to read post from folks who appear to abuse it.

Dom

I feel the quote feature is abused. People can't seem to have a conversation without relying on it - re-quoting entire posts from above including the pictures which can be quite lengthy. Even simple sentences are getting re-quoted. My opinion is its a bad habit and no one says anything about it.

I feel its just bad forum etiquette and some can't seem to hold a thought or conversation. Some will disagree others may not, I enjoy reading replies but I don't need to read repetitive quotes.

Maybe the forum requires a block function so I don't have to read post from folks who appear to abuse it.

Quotes are used as a courtesy to others so they will know which post or posts are being replied to, and, to which part of those posts the reply is to.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brandon, I'm curious, would you have moved the cabinet had the relator not been with you. Does that ever occur? As I said, I'm just curious?

- - - Updated - - -

The electrical panel in the xxx lacks adequate working space. The xxx and any other items should be moved so this panel can be accessed quickly in an emergency and worked on when necessary.

I move more junk from in front of panels than I probably should. If it takes me less than 10 minutes (5 to move 5 to put it back) and I'm reasonably sure I won't break anything I just do it to avoid re-inspections and cranky buyers. There's nothing worse than chopping up my day and driving across town just to look at a panel, regardless of any re-inspect fee. But that's just me.... your mileage may vary.

As for the write-up if it's just some loose personal stored junk I usually won't mention it. Standing or build-in shelves I write up for sure. Wheels? Tough call...... would depend on my mood - probably would get a note in the report unless the buyer was with me and I could verbal it.

Frank Adame Guest

It's up to the seller's agent to educate the seller about having their house ready for inspection.
    Whenever the seller happens to be present during my inspection, I always ask them if they have been informed about preparing for a home inspection. In the past four years that I have been asking, the "yes" answer has only been given twice.

Yup the quote button is working just fine...

Whomever calls to book the inspection tell the person you need clear access to the furnace, electrical panel, attic hatch, water heater et ceteras. Doing so can help avert such instances and save time.
    And lock up any pets if applicable.

Especially pets that bite!

I always just move or climb over things that are in my way if they are small or easy to move, I know i'm not supposed to cause it could be a liability but I havent had any problems. I would not however move a fridge, and I usually don't put that it was blocked in my report unless its something that will still be there after the sale but of coarse I mention it during the inspection.

Never assume.

Report it, you don't know what seller will do and it provides a caution for the buyer (ie: don't put a shelf there.)

Last edited by Lance McIntosh; 05-06-2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: double post

Like Matt I have moved more stuff than I should to get to the panel. Its a judgement call on what it is and my risk.

I always write up blocked panel and insert a diagram showing the required clearances. If nothing else it plant the seed not to store or place items that block access to the panel.

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com