cory nystul Guest

Default Dented water heater

I plan to mention the dent in the water heater. So i know for myself, is the dent going to damage the internals of the heater? IT appears to be older, the only dates I could find anywhere on the tank is 1994.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Dented water heater

The tank appears to be insulated with foam and the dent could be superficial only. Wise to mention it since its not ascertainable if there is internal damage to the glass lining.

Also I see the armour cable is pulled from the connector.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Also I see the armour cable is pulled from the connector.
    And no T&P relief valve discharge line.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yup and the quote button too!

cory nystul Guest

I appreciate the additional info, I had noticed those items as well. But thanks for helping.

I was worried about the dent. Its equally dented on the bottom. Thanks for setting my mind at ease.

The inner tank is 10 times thicker metal than the outer housing. You can learn a lot by going to a salvage yard and looking at stuff.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Frank Adame Guest

I heard a story where an inspector didn't call out a small amount of rust on top of an older water. Sometime after the sale, the homeowner called out a plumber from a home warranty company. the plumber saw the small amount of rust and said the tank is not covered because the inspector should have called out the rust. The homeowner went after the inspector. I don't know the ending to this story. But I now call out any amount of rust on the tank.

And the moral of the story is - screw the home warranty - nothing but a sham. There are so many disclaimers and all I hear is how the warranty companies deny any warranty coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Adame View Post
    I heard a story where an inspector didn't call out a small amount of rust on top of an older water. Sometime after the sale, the homeowner called out a plumber from a home warranty company. the plumber saw the small amount of rust and said the tank is not covered because the inspector should have called out the rust. The homeowner went after the inspector. I don't know the ending to this story. But I now call out any amount of rust on the tank.
    Unfortunately, this is very common. the home warranty companies will do anything they can to avoid paying. They ALWAYS throw the inspector under the bus.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Cool Re: Dented water heater

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Adame View Post

Read your note: How did the plumber no that the inspector did not call it out. The home warranty company may not have a copy? I have found 99.9% of time contractors blame the inspector without reading a report, if its their business?

I had an inspection and three months later after several rains and a leak that occurred (I have full pictures of the water heater with no defects) the plumber indicated that the inspector should have pointed it out and the client should go back at the inspector. Well we went into arbitration and with my pictures and time of inspection I was found innocent. I then sued the plumber for defamation of character and the plumber did not go into arbitration and we went to a judge decision. 15 minutes into the statements the judge stopped and said no more, plumber guilty with the client also being guilty. I was reimbursed and guess what, the plumber is no where to be seen. Unfortunately the plumber was friends with a few Realtors and my business from the area dropped but hey, I would not do business with those people anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    And the moral of the story is - screw the home warranty - nothing but a sham. There are so many disclaimers and all I hear is how the warranty companies deny any warranty coverage.
    That's not my experience at all. I've had home warranties on every real estate transaction I've undertaken, dozens over the past few years. I've rarely had any need to request a service call under warranty but on the rare occasion when needed, response has been pretty timely by the contractor and satisfactory work performed. I made one such request just a couple of weeks ago, having closed escrow on the property a week or so before. The gas heating unit, which operated normally during inspection later failed to ignite and I suspected a faulty gas valve. The HVAC guy came out within 48 hrs, the valve was ordered and installed a couple of days later. The $125 valve alone cost me just the $60. service fee. I guess I've been pretty fortunate, though I accept most warranty companies, like any other insurance company seem to do whatever they can to limit liability.
    Incidentally, I always include a home warranty (buyers choice) with every property I sell and have yet to get any negative feedback.

Last edited by Ian Page; 03-11-2014 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Page View Post
    That's not my experience at all. I've had home warranties on every real estate transaction I've undertaken, dozens over the past few years. I've rarely had any need to request a service call under warranty but on the rare occasion when needed, response has been pretty timely by the contractor and satisfactory work performed. I made one such request just a couple of weeks ago, having closed escrow on the property a week or so before. The gas heating unit, which operated normally during inspection later failed to ignite and I suspected a faulty gas valve. The HVAC guy came out within 48 hrs, the valve was ordered and installed a couple of days later. The $125 valve alone cost me just the $60. service fee. I guess I've been pretty fortunate, though I accept most warranty companies, like any other insurance company seem to do whatever they can to limit liability.
    Incidentally, I always include a home warranty (buyers choice) with every property I sell and have yet to get any negative feedback.
    Yep Ray, All depends on the Sub who is doing the work for the Home Warranty Company. We are in Southern California area and for every 5 out of 10 item request for repair that are problems the sub (representing the warranty company) indicates it is not covered and then quotes a price to repair. The client then contacts me so then I contact the rep for the Home warranty company rep to see what is going on (as a favor for my client ) and then the rep jumps onto it and gets another sub to properly do their work representing the home warranty company. Again it all depends on the Sub. After 20,000 inspections I think I have been exposed to enough adventures

Quote Originally Posted by William Kading View Post
    Yep Ray, All depends on the Sub who is doing the work for the Home Warranty Company. We are in Southern California area and for every 5 out of 10 item request for repair that are problems the sub (representing the warranty company) indicates it is not covered and then quotes a price to repair. The client then contacts me so then I contact the rep for the Home warranty company rep to see what is going on (as a favor for my client ) and then the rep jumps onto it and gets another sub to properly do their work representing the home warranty company. Again it all depends on the Sub. After 20,000 inspections I think I have been exposed to enough adventures
    A number of years ago, when running a plumbing company, we decided to try being a contractor for one of the major home warranty companies.

That relationship soon ended. Their pay rate was pitiful. At the time their fee for changing out a toilet was something like $25. Other repairs were equally as bad. We soon told them to go pound sand unless they wanted to increase their rates substantially because we didn't intend to work for free.

This probably explains why many of the subs try to deny a claim and up-sell the job in order to make enough money to make showing up worthwhile.

877-466-8504

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Bostick View Post
    we decided to try being a contractor for one of the major home warranty companies.... ...That relationship soon ended. Their pay rate was pitiful. At the time their fee for changing out a toilet was something like $25. Other repairs were equally as bad. We soon told them to go pound sand unless they wanted to increase their rates substantially because we didn't intend to work for free....
    At least you got paid.
    In December Choice Home Warranty Called me to do 4 simple jobs.
    I completed the jobs, even supplied parts. Have yet to see any money.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Rick,

Like the ad for the charge card, 'whose hands are in your wallet?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Bostick View Post
    A number of years ago, when running a plumbing company, we decided to try being a contractor for one of the major home warranty companies.

That relationship soon ended. Their pay rate was pitiful. At the time their fee for changing out a toilet was something like $25. Other repairs were equally as bad. We soon told them to go pound sand unless they wanted to increase their rates substantially because we didn't intend to work for free.

This probably explains why many of the subs try to deny a claim and up-sell the job in order to make enough money to make showing up worthwhile.
    I agree whole heartedly, I had a friend doing quite a bit for Home warranty when he got started as an electrician, he soon left due to the same conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Page View Post
    Good for you, I have noticed that most of my clients dont really communicate with their realtor after the transaction and the realtor would not know what is happening. Normal Realtor procedures to negotiate a Home warranty policy for their clients in the purchase agreement but later are unable to control what the subs do.

Oops! Looks like we hijacked the thread. Now you know the REAL hot button issue! LOL

877-466-8504