Default S/N and actual age of Janitrol Furnace do not match

I inspected a Janitrol furnace that was clearly installed November 27, 1985 however, the S/N: 300406 does not tell me this (as I understand the Janitrol/Goodman dating system). The unit was clearly not manufactured during April, 1930. I red flagged the unit for several reasons, CO leakage being the most critical, and the unit is being replaced this week. That aside, can anyone help me understand this S/N? Note that the Janitrol "A coil" S/N 840702304 is consistent with the actual installation date.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: S/N and actual age of Janitrol Furnace do not match

If the unit is date stamped '84 and installed in '85, why would that be unique? They frequently warehouse these things prior to installation, or buy older models at the end of a production cycle.

As for the furnace s/n, it must have been manufactured prior to their current system of date codes, or the label/plate was damaged.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    If the unit is date stamped '84 and installed in '85, why would that be unique? They frequently warehouse these things prior to installation, or buy older models at the end of a production cycle.

As for the furnace s/n, it must have been manufactured prior to their current system of date codes, or the label/plate was damaged.

Dom.
    read the anzi on data plate 1982 many older furnaces have this, it may not be the exact year but close.

I have inspected 200+ Janitrol/Goodman units over the last few years and understand your comments. My question is simply one of curiosity; I've never seen a S/N like this on a Janitrol/Goodman unit. - I do not see how to get 1984 or 1985 out of this S/N.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Horn View Post
    I have inspected 200+ Janitrol/Goodman units over the last few years and understand your comments. My question is simply one of curiosity; I've never seen a S/N like this on a Janitrol/Goodman unit. - I do not see how to get 1984 or 1985 out of this S/N.
    Don,

First, you really should rename your photo files before uploading them so that the address is not part of the file name ... really, you should - this is the second or third time this has been pointed out.

Second, your answer lies in the other posts (Raymond, if you don't like quotes and if you really, really despise multi-quotes, then do not read on, if you do read on, don't say you were not warned).

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt berman View Post
    read the anzi on data plate 1982 many older furnaces have this, it may not be the exact year but close.
    The ANSI data plate says 1982, so you know it was a 1982 or later unit - that fits right with the date of the system install.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Sorry, yes I was not thinking when I left address on photo file. I'll do better.

Last edited by Don Horn; 03-10-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Just a thought, but Goodman began his a/c, heat pump business by buying out Janitrol in 1982. It's possible a few of the old (certified) furnaces simply had a Goodman label slapped on them, but kept Janitrol's serial number sequence.
    Goodman Manufacturing
    Janitrol Heating and Cooling

Last edited by Jim Warters; 03-11-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Just for fun I looked it up in my Prestons Guide. I could not find a GU080 gas furnace, nor could I find it under Janitrol (different numbering system). Weird.

According to: History of the Industry Brands
    "JANITROL: Division of Surface Combustion Co. became division of Midland-Ross in 1960, division of Tappan in 1977. Janitrol name sold to Goodman Mfg. in 1982, now dropped."

In 1978, Smith-Jones Corp. (SCJ) bought Tappan's plant in Ohio which included the Janitrol line. The plant closed January 22, 1982 when "Ninety furnaces rolled off the line." The gas heating line was apparently first sold to "ARKLA Inc. of Evansville, Ind" (Preway Industries) before Goodman purchased it. The coil serial number dated 1984 would make it a Janitrol product, possibly part of the SJC inventory. Where is Paul Harvey with the rest of the story when you need him?