Default Ice and heat pumps

Looking for some thoughts on this problem - I falling off roof landing on heat pumps. With all the snow and Ice we have had here in New England I have a customer that has a pair of heat pumps that is susceptable to falling Ice damage. Now these units are nearing the end of life and will be replaced in the next couple of years (maybe this year if damaged). I am wondering if there is a way to protect these heat pumps with some sort of structure that will cause minimum iterferance with their operation

As you can see by the photos - some significant Ice has fallen (at this point I do not know if the refridgerent lines have been comprimised - I am waiting for the ice to melt and we have a couple of months before we need the AC

Normally I would object to such a structure but in this case where the roof slopes to this side of the building not much choice

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Ice and heat pumps

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Doane View Post
    With all the snow and Ice we have had here in New England I have a customer that has a pair of heat pumps that is susceptable to falling Ice damage.
    Most, if not all, condenser units/heat pump units state in the installation instructions not to located under a roof where roof runoff will fall onto the unit. While that is referring to not letting rain runoff the roof and onto the unit, I am sure that ice would be included. While the solution to prevent rain from running off the roof onto the unit is to install a gutter, ice would require a different solution, i.e., relocating the unit either under the overhang (if that allows for all proper clearances) or relocating it further from the house so it is beyond the ice fall area.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

In reply to Dwight,

Per chance does the house have a metal roof? Can't say I have heard nor seen ice sliding from asphalt roof.

If its a metal roof avalanche guards should be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    In reply to Dwight,

Per chance does the house have a metal roof? Can't say I have heard nor seen ice sliding from asphalt roof.

If its a metal roof avalanche guards should be installed.

This is a synagoge - and it does have an ashphalt roof. It has been a brutal winter here in New England and this building has a history of Ice dams. I have never seen any sort of guarding or protection for these type of units - I am hoping someone has seen something. The last alternative is to essentially create them in the winter months.

Unlike many of you my business is two parts - maintaining religous buildings and consulting with them to make them run more effecient and setting up proper maintenace solutions (evaluating , staffing , planning , budgeting). In almost every case building inspections on a commericial level are a routine part of my week. Keeping these building in complience is - let us say a challenge.