Thread: Facia board

Default Facia board

Hi,

I've been told that my gutters are loose in different areas because of rotten facia. The facia is wrapped. I need to get them fixed and have heard of 2 different routes that I could use, but not sure what to do. I've been told that there is a method using screws that go in to the rafters. Or I could just replace the facia and re-wrap. The screw method sure seems a lot cheaper but I don't want to risk any damage to my house. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Pat

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Facia board

Quote Originally Posted by PPitts View Post
    Hi,

I've been told that my gutters are loose in different areas because of rotten facia. The facia is wrapped. I need to get them fixed and have heard of 2 different routes that I could use, but not sure what to do. I've been told that there is a method using screws that go in to the rafters. Or I could just replace the facia and re-wrap. The screw method sure seems a lot cheaper but I don't want to risk any damage to my house. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Pat
    You will still have rotting fascia boards even though the gutters might not be loose. The screw method into the rafter tails is the cheap Band-Aid fix for the gutters but not for the problem that caused the gutters to become loose. If you have rotting fascia boards you most likely have problems with the overhang and drip edge that is allowing water to get behind the wrap and rot the fascia boards.

The problem that caused the rot needs to be corrected and then the damaged fascia's need to be replaced and the gutters need to be hung properly. The newer hanger brackets are ten times better than the old gutter nails that were driven into the fascia boards.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Also, if the fascias are deteriorated, then the ends of the rafters may not be much better.

On the other hand, sometimes the spikes work loose over time after the wood dries. In some cased the fascia may not be deteriorated and then screws may work. I have added a few screw type brackets to my gutters and they have worked well. A number of the spikes had worked loose, but the fascias were ok.

There are several companies which manufacture fascia brackets such as this type which might be better suited to your needs.

Novaline® Fascia System - The Roofing Centre, Tasmania

Thank you all for the responses. I have the info that I was looking for!