Neal Williams Guest

Default Materials to give to client

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and in the process of getting my HI license.

I did my training at AHIT, and they recommend giving the client "The home maintenance manual" and a DVD called "The home maintenance video." These cost around $10. I see the value, but they are dated.

Do you guys give anything to the client?

Also, they recommend a book with a CD of photos called "The Illustrated Home" for inserting images into reports ($295)

Thanks in advance!

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Materials to give to client

Some do most don't. All my client gets is the report and a years membership in the HON network, it's free if you use certain home inspector services(I use HOME Inspector Pro).

After I do my inspection I will most likely never see my client until they buy another home. I email the report so giving them a book would be difficult and I just don't see the value.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I never give clients anything other than my undivided attention and a great inspection and report.

Smile Re: Materials to give to client

2 plus years later my customers and realtors still love receiving tape measures

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ing-tools.html

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Yes Neal, those Home Maintenance books are dated. A waste of your money mostly.
    The Illustrated Home has some very good illustrations as you might have guessed from the title. You can learn from that.
    I used to print off sheets to hand out for the typical defects. I still have a folder full of sheets in my box but haven't handed any out for quite a while.
    Now I just tell people to Google it.
    I think the info is all available in UTube videos now.

A few sheets of Ballpark Repair Costs is good info, and that is what I refer to when they ask me to estimate their repairs.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Neal Williams Guest

Thanks for the great advice, everyone! I love this forum!

I just got in another 100 tape measures. I had stickers printed with my website and phone number on them to put on the tapes. If the home is being lived in - both buyers and sellers get one.

I give them a "Welcome to Homeownership" with a scratch 'n sniff piece of asbestos and a swatch of lead paint to lick.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I give them a "Welcome to Homeownership" with a scratch 'n sniff piece of asbestos and a swatch of lead paint to lick.

Can you get them personalized (name, number, photo) ? Also, is there an active mold samples available?

I have a few different PDF's I've put together over the years that I update annually. 1 for regular houses, 1 for Condos, 1 for new construction, 1 for multi-units.
    Each contains info about pitfalls, liability issues to consider, dealing with tenants, associations that sort of thing. I email out the PDF during initial contact when I confirm the appointment, and to verify the email address.
    For some buyers its a waste, for some buyers it is extremely helpful; especially on Condo's. I don't know that I would pay for someone else's text product to hand out.
    For those of you doing tape measures can you PM me who you are sourcing from? I'm thinking of doing tape measures this year. Maybe pens but probably tapes.
    Thanks, Markus

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Williams View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to this forum and in the process of getting my HI license.

I did my training at AHIT, and they recommend giving the client "The home maintenance manual" and a DVD called "The home maintenance video." These cost around $10. I see the value, but they are dated.

Do you guys give anything to the client?

Also, they recommend a book with a CD of photos called "The Illustrated Home" for inserting images into reports ($295)

Thanks in advance!
    I personally use the illustrated home as a tool for what items of repair should look like. Kick out flashing pic gets used a ton!

As as far as the manual and cd go, I use them, every time. I preach the value of keeping a maintenance log, added resale value and ease of transaction when you sell. My particularly OCD clients love the.

Not for everyone, but it was help me with my niche in my area.

whatever you do, make it you and make it personable for each client.

I know of other inspectors who by tape measures at the dollar store and then have labels printed with their company name et cetera on same and placed on the tape measure.

Another promotion I use to do at Christmas time was hand out plywood unassembled bird houses.

This the type I handed out. Environmentally friendly too, and inexpensive.

Bird House Kit | eBay

I think the most important thing to give a client is,... a receipt for their payment.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I used to get 16' tape measures from the dollar stores, but haven't been able to find them for a couple of years. Last order was through True Value Hardware. 10 footers for $3 each. Print shop labels with web address and phone # are about 3 cents each.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Markus,

I get $1.00 sixteen foot tapes from Harbor Freight, then stick on round labels from Vista Print - about 20 cents each.

- - - Updated - - -

Markus,

I get $1.00 sixteen foot tapes from Harbor Freight, then stick on round labels from Vista Print - about 20 cents each.

Merrick Inspections LLC