Jeff Eastman Guest

Default Bad design idea?

Last edited by Jeff Eastman; 12-11-2007 at 07:35 PM.
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Bad design idea?

I think you have it right.
    Looks like the roofer did a good job for such a poor design.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Thumbs down Re: Bad design idea?

Jeff, that's easy, if you owned the house would you want the inspector to call out repairs? As the home owner what would you do to fix the so called problem? The house does not look new, has it in fact leaked? I would sue you if you busted my sale and did not have a legitimate reason for repair. All's fair for buyer and seller. " Valley terminates into sidewall is a problematic roof design which could cause water entry into home. Proper repairs needed to prevent water from draining onto sidewall". The way you worded it, the valley "IS" problematic and "Repairs needed" therefore you better be ready to face the owner with the necessary repairs. Your buyer is taking your word there IS a problem and is NOT going to buy the house until it's corrected. Now if you wrote "Valley terminates into side wall, MAY want to have a professional roofer evaluate for proper installation of valley and advise IF repairs are necessary" This places the burden of proof on the buyer and not the seller. Big differance in wording. My 2 cents Tony Mount

Last edited by Tony Mount; 10-24-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Properly flashed, no problem. What I always looked for was adequate clearance at upper story exterior siding above roof surface to help prevent moisture wicking.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Generally, the boilerplate for the roofing section of my reports notes that I cannot inspect flashings I cannot see, and lists dormer/chimney to roof junctions as an example of a location where such inspection my be difficult or impossible.

Specifically, if I was going to comment on that roof (because the client mentioned it, or because there was evidence of previous water intrusion, or because there was a lot of roof uphill of that junction and a lot of water directed there, or just because I “had a bad feeling about it”), it would go in as an FYI item, and would read something like:

------------

Observation: (FYI) The design of junction of the roof and chimney at the northwest corner of the house acts as a funnel to direct water toward this point. I was not able to observe the design or installation details of the flashing (the sheet metal water diverter) at this location because it was covered by chimney’s the siding, which extends down to the roof. I observed the chimney where it passed through the roof in the attic, and tested the rood sheathing at this junction with a moisture meter, and did not detect an elevated moisture level.

Analysis: This is a less than ideal design, and the roof shingles in this area may wear more rapidly than at most other areas of the roof. At this time there is no evidence of water leakage into the structure at this location, and if the flashing in this area is correct this design can function properly for the life of the shingles.

Recommendation: Watch for signs of excessive shingle wear at this location, and for any signs (such as interior water staining) that moisture in entering the structure. If you observe evidence of water intrusion in this area have it repaired as required by a state licensed and insured roofer, a “small leak” at the interior can indicate that substantial amounts of water are entering the structure.

---------------

If you are looking for a stronger way to write it, IMO your best approach would be to take the position that as the up-roof side of a chimney more than 30” wide requires a cricket, and as the *side* of the chimney is “down-roof” in this design it requires a cricket as well (actually, the "cricket" would have to divert water around both the top and side).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Properly flashed, no problem. What I always looked for was adequate clearance at upper story exterior siding above roof surface to help prevent moisture wicking.
    I completely agree with West Coast Jerry - and that's the key "Properly flashed, no problem.". I've seen many of those.

If you start commenting on that design, be prepared to comment on all the other ones.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Angry Re: Bad design idea?

Putting the "burden of proof" on the buyer? Who is working for who? That does appear to be a very poor design, based on the photos. People do occasionally execute less than perfect work. That does not mean that consequential problems should be passed on to the next owner. Who can honestly say that there are no signs of water pooling at the corner flashing? Say it the way it is: signs of poor roof drainage, potential for early flashing failure / leaking to occur. It is not a home inspector's job or duty to defend poor design, nor to minimize it.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com