Chip O'Brian Guest

Default (CO) Certificate of Occupancy

Doing a seller inspection original home 7 years old. Home owner builds a detached garage with guest apartment under same roof. No final inspection done or CO. (1) is a CO required? (2) If so are CO's required for HI do do inspections.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: (CO) Certificate of Occupancy

Your local building inspection department can tell you if a new CO is needed.
    Depends on weather it changed the occupancy or not.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

That will be up to your local muni guys. I always disclaim permits, final COs, zoning, surveys, etc. Tell the client to research the issue. It was their house, correct? If you want to dig into it yourself, call the local AHJ and ask them about it. I don't see why a CO would be required for an inspection. They are separate issues in my opinion. For someone to live in the apartment, I would think a CO would be required.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

1) Yes, a permitted addition requires specific inspections completed at certain intervals, relative to the scope of the project. That includes a final inspection. Assuming the permit was approved and issued, of course.

2) No, CO not required for you to inspect. An HI can inspect it before, or after, a CO is issued.

Advise your client to clear that issue up with the local Building Dept. before it becomes an even bigger problem.

Dom.

Chip O'Brian Guest

Did make the call yes to CO as it is living space a CC if not. Thanks Gentlemen