Default Boiler venting system

Does anyone have information on the manufacturer and installation instructions? Is it too close to ground?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Boiler venting system

Looks like a blower/fan in there, that means a positive pressure vent, Type B gas vent is not suitable for use with positive pressure venting.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Also improper termination vent on exterior air intake vents on side of hood could allow exhaust to be pulled back into basement.

Yes there is take a closer look.

.........manufacturer's instructions will most likely give some elevation required above mean expected snow level........Greg

I seriously doubt that is a legit installation. That looks like the modified scumbag type installations we used to do years ago for slumlords when trying to figure out how to vent a water tank that shouldn't have been where it was.
    That's the type of corner motor hanging from the ceiling that would get used. I cannot recall that type of vent motor ever actually being supplied with a boiler.
    I'm going to guess this is an older boiler and the brick chimney is shot. Or its a newer regular boiler install and the brick chimney is shot or gone due to some BS rehab work.
    Of course if you get snow that thing is too low; and the side openings on the hood most likely allow cold air back into the home.
    Write the crap out of it.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Abram View Post
    Jerry you are wrong about that.
    Jim if you are saying that is not Type B gas vent and that it is single wall, you may be correct ... however, if you referring to it not being suitable for use as a positive pressure vent, then you are wrong yet again.

I'm kind of looking forward to the first one and you actually being correct ... for once ... let me know if you are keeping your record unbroken or you actually got one correct.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry - You lack basic knowledge and understanding of these components. These devices SUCK and create a negative pressure on the B vent not a positive pressure.

If you take a look at any of the manufacturer's web sites they specify using B vent with these devices .
    Enough said or do you want me to embarrass you more .
    Jim,

While I am trying to keep the discussion above board, you keep embarrassing yourself more and more - there are TWO sections of pressure in that vent:
    - the section before the fan which is under negative pressure
    - the section after the fan which is under positive pressure

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

Don't feel bad JA said I didn't know what I was talking about either.

Where pray tell do you see that the photo is a UL approved vent? Even if it is its not installed correctly.

You say a lot of things but you don't provide any tangible documents.

You know you might have more credibility if you have a profile.

I am with Jerry, he is able to consistently prove with documents his points, while you on the other hand rely on personal opinions.

Btw is your name really Jim Abram or is it a pseudonym?

Thats for that system. Each manufacturers will have their own specifics as to installation and/or requirements.

Please keep to the installation which is being discussed. The OP's photos indicate without doubt its a botched installation and you are the only one saying its fine. We do not know the manufacturer and my links were to indicate that a double wall system is possible one for exhaust one for intake, or alternatively there is to be an internal cap at wall penetration as to keep the thimble cool. Suggest you study the various links further.

Also
    Guide to Side Wall Vent Chimneys & Flues - Direct-Venting Heating Appliance Chimneys & Flues

Further I suggest that you find some other sites which show the current set up is correct.

I really don't see the need to converse further on the subject, and won't respond. I stand by my assessment.

Thank you for confirming your lack of professionalism and lack of courtesy you have shown to us all by your refusal to introduce yourself and your background to be pontificating that everyone is wrong but you.

Another weak defence. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Roshak View Post
    Does anyone have information on the manufacturer and installation instructions? Is it too close to ground?
    I cannot tell the manufacturer, but Fields (or Field) controls is one of the major ones. I would look at the models they make.

The controller is a UC-1, which is a Tjernlund product ( http://www.tjernlund.com/Tjernlund_8500004.pdf ), thus the draft inducer should be a Tjernlund Sidewall Power Venter, not a draft inducer.

Their draft inducer installation instructions are here: http://www.tjernlund.com/Tjernlund_8504003.pdf

The cover page of the installation instructions for their draft inducers states: (bold is mine) "NOTE: FLUE GAS TEMPERATURES MUST NOT EXCEED 575oF AT DRAFT INDUCER INLET. DRAFT INDUCERS MUST NOT BE USED FOR SIDEWALL VENTING APPLICATIONS."

Also, Page 3 states: "The Draft Inducer must not be used in sidewall venting applications. Sidewall venting requires the use of a Tjernlund Sidewall Power Venter."

A Tjernlund Sidewall Power Venter is here: "http://www.tjernlund.com/Tjernlund_8500370.pdf"

Installation instructions for the Sidewall Power Venter is here: http://www.tjernlund.com/Tjernlund_8504106.pdf

Vent hood locations are shown on pages 6 & 7.

Page 8 shows that all seams on the positive side of power venter are to be sealed - not sure it is permitted to seal single wall or double wall Type B gas vent - Bob Harper would be able to address that.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry - I do not know where you are going with this but I await with baited breath. BTW-
    the component in the picture is not a draft inducer and I hope you noticed the manufacturers specifications for B vent with the power venter.
    Jim,

I went the same place the manufacturer did, I hope you read what you are asking about - I did read it ... sounds like you did not.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Aside from the clearance issued it appears to have the required Fan Prover Safety Interlock. It would be approved here.

Here in MN it would need to be one foot above expected snow height and 4 feet from horizontal openings (the window in this case).

But, even so, the AHJ would still approve this install.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 03-17-2014 at 10:20 PM.
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I seriously doubt that is a legit installation. That looks like the modified scumbag type installations . . . . ..
    wow, scumbag is pretty harsh. That might be somebody's dad you're talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I seriously doubt that is a legit installation. That looks like the modified scumbag type installations . . . . ..
    wow, scumbag is pretty harsh. That might be somebody's dad you're talking about.

Rich,

This is for direct venting; I'm sure it would apply in this case.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)