Default storefront windows and low E coating

I got a call from a potential client about windows breaking at their storefront. Based on our phone conversation I figured probably a bad lintel over the opening putting pressure on the aluminum assemblies.
    I went to take a look. Newer construction, jumbo brick and CMU building, Res upstairs, storefronts at grade; typical aluminum storefront assemblies, 3 gang total assembly, each pane 45x72.
    The two outer panes were clearly broken in a large spider web type pattern. Crack started at the bottom middle of one and right side middle of the other. The inside panes were broke, not the outside, no obvious point of impact.
    Lintel was good, no running cracks at brick walls, no settling signs nothing.
    So I went to talk to my glass guy who does storefronts. As soon as I explained the situation to him, his answer was low E blowout. The glass was installed backwards.
    According to him, the low E coating has to be the 2nd surface from the outside in order to work properly. When the window is installed backwards the low E becomes the 3rd surface which allows the window cavity to overheat and blow out.
    Just a point of information in case you run into something like this.

Member Benefits1
    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Default Re: storefront windows and low E coating

Good to know Markus...thanks for the information. We do a lot of commercial, this will come in handy

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I got a call from a potential client about windows breaking at their storefront. Based on our phone conversation I figured probably a bad lintel over the opening putting pressure on the aluminum assemblies.
    I went to take a look. Newer construction, jumbo brick and CMU building, Res upstairs, storefronts at grade; typical aluminum storefront assemblies, 3 gang total assembly, each pane 45x72.
    The two outer panes were clearly broken in a large spider web type pattern. Crack started at the bottom middle of one and right side middle of the other. The inside panes were broke, not the outside, no obvious point of impact.
    Lintel was good, no running cracks at brick walls, no settling signs nothing.
    So I went to talk to my glass guy who does storefronts. As soon as I explained the situation to him, his answer was low E blowout. The glass was installed backwards.
    According to him, the low E coating has to be the 2nd surface from the outside in order to work properly. When the window is installed backwards the low E becomes the 3rd surface which allows the window cavity to overheat and blow out.
    Just a point of information in case you run into something like this.