Default Belligerent postings

I hope that Brian will address the belligerent postings that has appeared on the forum.
    To endure post like these again is intolerable.
    Not wanting to censor or ban anyone, just wanting to insure that the value of this forum is maintained.

If you agree I hope you also send a message to Brian

Added in edit
    Don't get me wrong. I welcome discussion of a topic,
    Without debate this would be a boring place.
    So I'm not talking about just disagreeing with someone on a topic.
    I'm talking about disagreeing for the sake of sparring only.
    Debate adds value, but belligerence only adds confusion.

Last edited by Rick Cantrell; 03-16-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    Member Benefits1
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Default Re: Belligerent postings

How about ensuring people fill out the profile? I know this topic has been discussed before.

In my opinion having a profile adds credibility.

Also without a profile anyone can post under any name they like and frankly I think there should be rule instituted for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I hope that Brian will address the belligerent postings that has appeared on the forum.
    To endure post like these again is intolerable.
    Not wanting to censor or ban anyone, just wanting to insure that the value of this forum is maintained.

If you agree I hope you also send a message to Brian

Added in edit
    Don't get me wrong. I welcome discussion of a topic,
    Without debate this would be a boring place.
    So I'm not talking about just disagreeing with someone on a topic.
    I'm talking about disagreeing for the sake of sparring only.
    Debate adds value, but belligerence only adds confusion.
    There are three reasons that I'm posting less frequently.
    First, I've been busy. Holy Cow! Hard to complain about being busy after the lean years, but here I am at an age when some pals are retiring and I'm working harder than ever.

Second, many topics are retreads. (For instance, this is not the first thread where the insulting and personal attacks has been brought up as a topic)

Third, the rancor of some discussions (three maybe five guys are usually the culprits) is just off putting.

Big talk from guys a thousand miles apart. In the same room, one wonders if they would still be as full of themselves. I have as sharp a tongue as anyone here (my friends calling it "Going Lon" on someone) but I'm trying to mellow and nurture some dignity as I pass into my 60's. I don't whince at the aroma of testosterone in the air but in my not so humble opinion, chest puffery and showing what an a**hole you can be never wins the argument.

We try to present ourselves as professionals to our clients if not the public in general. Outsiders reading some of these threads wouldn't be very impressed at the decorum presented. There is a lot of knowledge here, but the tone with which it is sometimes presented overwhelms the quality of the information.

Maybe there should be a red flag button where a reader can flag a jerk for inappropriate tone or insulting behavior. Three or four flags and that poster can no longer post on that thread.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Free speech! This is America at its best. But there are rules to posting comments that are insulting type, name calling, foul language, discriminating or get too personal.

If you have a complaint about anyone, you should report it to Brian and he will handle it.

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com